Old titles with new names...

Discuss YMAA Publishing's books, videos and DVDs. Have you read/seen an YMAA Publishing work? Share your thoughts, discuss its ideas. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: Dvivid, DavidR

Old titles with new names...

Postby dianxue » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:36 am

this is part of a quote from Dvivid`s answer on another topic. but this is not the truth. i recently bought tcc martial applications just to find out that this volume is book 2 of 2 in a series with tai chi theory & martial power as the first one. the appendix "volume 2" of the former release`s name of tcc martial applications has been cut off. what for ? to sell more single books instead of not selling the pair at all ? dr. yang often refers to volume 1, so tcc martial applications doesn`t really stand on its own and i have to purchase the other one also to read the first after the second. this is no fun at all and the ymaa should be buttkicked for such unfair tactics. tc theory & martial power will be the last purchase regarding to ymaa. shame on you ! share your opinion...
dianxue
Forum Newbie

Postby abersold » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:26 pm

I think your being a little critical of something that is realitvely in expensive; I personally don't see the confusion. We should be grateful their are reference material at all to buy. I can remember when there was barely anything except the first red book with minor details.

Even if David is incorrect nobody's perfect, I have known YMAA since 1984 and they represent themselves with great character. Maybe when you are seeking try the inner smile meditation it might help.....
abersold
Forum Addict

Postby Dvivid » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:15 pm

Thanks Mr Abersold.

Dianxue, your point is valid. I hadn't considered those two books you mentioned, which are quite old, and were published long before my time at YMAA. The fact that they say 'Volume 1' and 'Volume 2' is confusing. Each book has vital, inter-related aspects of basic Taijiquan training information, and so the books are considered a set. They are sold separately, and do not require one another to be a fully functional book, although it behooves the reader to do further reading, since the subject matter is quite varied, and Dr Yang's teaching is in-depth. These two books have been sold separately without complaint for many years, and they have become considered 'classics' in modern-day Taijiquan society.

You are not obligated to read the other book to understand the martial applications book. Dr. Yang has written over thirty books on various subjects, and he often recommends that we read another book dedicated to a subject in detail which is only briefly mentioned in the book at hand, such as the case of the Taiji Martial Applications book - which mentions that if you want to truly learn Taiji Theory deeply, which is recommended traditionally before you jump ahead in the training to studying martial fighting applications, then please first read the book about Taiji Theory. Some readers are interested only in Martial Applications. Some are interested in learning about Taiji Theory and how to develop Martial Power.

The two books mentioned were published in the 1980's, right after Dr Yang started his own publishing company, and it was unclear at that time if the books should be part of a "series" or not. The knowledge Dr Yang has to offer cannot fit into a single book, so a reader should not feel decieved.

The point is that Dr. Yang is on a mission to preserve and proliferate the traditional Chinese arts such as Taijiquan at a high level, and in doing so, he encourages people to train slowly, and in the traditional order, starting with learning Taiji Theory. It is his sincere hope that someone interested in Taijiquan martial applications will also learn the theory behind Taijiquan, which is traditionally taught first.
Sorry for the confusion. We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for writing.

"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

sorry for having been a bit over the edge

Postby dianxue » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:05 am

my angry first posting took place right after i started reading tcc martial applications and found out what i stated earlier and that amazon couldn`t deliver tai chi theory & martial power, so i had been in a state of "well i need to read the first book first but can`t get that and so my studie will be useless". now i calmed down a bit and feel quite relaxed due to my daoist intentions and the fact that i could lay my hands on a copy of the first volume. i`m sorry for having been so hot tempered. in the u.s. it might be easy and cheap to get ymaa related things, but in germany it is not (related to mr abersold). also i`m glad that dr. yang is on his mission and i know that it is impossible to cover all aspects in just one book. but i had read too many books that claim "this or that is really important but i don`t cover it in this volume, so if you want to know more buy this book and that book", so my first statement had been in the vein of being ripped off once again and therefore a bit overedged. overall don`t get me wrong, i don`t think that dr. yang is a hateable ripper like so much other authors due to his passing valuable information down and i wish him good luck and a long life (don`t slip on my slime traces)
dianxue
Forum Newbie

Question about editions

Postby Shakti » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:09 pm

Hello

Regarding the two books, "Tai Chi Chuan Martial Applications: Advanced Yang Style 2nd ed." and "Tai Chi Theory and Martial Power: Advanced Yang Style 2nd ed."...

As 2nd editions of the old two volume set discussed in the previous posts, do they contain significant updates/revisions of the earlier books, or, as mentioned in the preface of the second edition of "The Essence of Tai Chi Chi Kung", do they simply contain minor corrections?

Related to this, are the tai chi push hand, sticky hands, fighting set, and 37 postures applications DVDs intended to be used with these new second editions?

As the second editions were published in 1996, are third editions in the works?

Thank you

HM
Shakti
Forum Newbie

Postby DavidR » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:43 am

Dear Shakti,

In reply to your questions.

As 2nd editions of the old two volume set discussed in the previous posts, do they contain significant updates/revisions of the earlier books, or, as mentioned in the preface of the second edition of "The Essence of Tai Chi Chi Kung", do they simply contain minor corrections?

The revision was to convert the Romanization of Chinese characters from Wade-Giles to Pinyin, the inclusion of Chinese characters for many of the forms (movements), correction of some grammatical errors, and to update the cover.

Related to this, are the tai chi push hand, sticky hands, fighting set, and 37 postures applications DVDs intended to be used with these new second editions?

Yes, and no.
Yes - as some of the fundamentals for these practices are presented in the books.
No - as the DVD's are not meant to be companions to these books.
The books were written many years before the Videos were developed.

As the second editions were published in 1996, are third editions in the works?

There is no revision on the schedule for 2010. We do hope to have the opportunity over the coming years to go back to some of the older books and update them. Probably improving the interior layout of the books.

Hope this helps.
David Ripianzi
Publisher
YMAA Publication Center
DavidR
Forum Contributor

Second Editions of "Advanced Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan&q

Postby Shakti » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:53 pm

Hello David

Thank you for your reply, and, yes, it helped.

I also found the second editions on Amazon which have several sample pages from the books and was able to compare the 1996 editions to the revised second editions. Very nice improvement of layout and formatting from what I could see. I may wind up buying these even though I have the originals.

Thanks again

HM
Shakti
Forum Newbie

Return to YMAA Publishing