Why have styles?

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby steadfast » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:11 am

online pharmacy - http://www.bestrxpills.com
steadfast
Forum Newbie

steadfast

Postby dc » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:40 am

can someone delete this person's account? thanks for the spam, but i'll get my drug fix somewhere else.
dc
Forum Guru

Postby ironrogue » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:52 pm

i am new here and i didn't read all the posts so i dont know if someone already wrote something like this, but this is my opinion on the subject. It seems to me that styles are not about techniques but rather about technique. the difference in styles is how you aply those techniques not about different movements. the principles might eventually become the same but how they are expressed is different. for instance, tae kwan do bounces as footwork, pa kua circles, hsing i uses the half step, shaolin uses low strong stances, wing chun uses angular footwork. this is just some stuff. footwork is the base for any style and since it differs from style to style i would say that there is a big difference between styles. you cannot tell me that tae kwan do guys eventually use low stances or the half step and you cant tell me the pa kua guys eventually bounce because neither is true. each style decides on a different way to express the same principles for the most part. hsing i uses a linear to the point power oriented expression whereas pa kua uses a circular wear the opponent down expression. as everyone knows, tae kwan do stresses kicks and hsing i stresses fist techniques. it doesn't matter what level you get to in these styles, tae kwan do will still stress kicks and hsing i will still stress fist techniques. thats just my humble opinion.
pain is weakness leaving the body
ironrogue
Forum Newbie

Postby scramasax57 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:21 pm

nothing makes me want to ignore you more than when you start a post with "i didn't bother to read the rest of thread, but here's my opinion" or something like it.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu