Embrace Heart Kick

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Embrace Heart Kick

Postby BUDGIE » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:17 pm

Which kick is this??

I am sure I have seen it and done it before but don't recall which kick it is?

Anyhelp? :roll:

Paul Moran
YMAA Dublin
BUDGIE
Forum Contributor

Postby darth_freak » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:14 am

I've just checked in the long fist book and it's not in there. I wonder why in the book there're some kicks we don't practice and some that are not in the book and we practice :roll:
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Walter Wong » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:28 am

It's a very difficult kick to do correctly. I haven't formally learned it. But have a few times listen to Master Yang explain this kick.

From what I understand, your foot from the ground slides up against your body up to your chest and literally shoots out from your chest straight at your opponent. So basically it's not the typical chamber your leg for kicking like alot of kicks. But the foot slides up quickly against your body and your foot/kick shoots out from your chest into your opponent. It requires extreme flexibility which I myself don't have. The advantage of this is Embrace The Heart Kick is that the kick isn't seen coming and shoots out unexpectly. Just imagine a foot shooting out from your chest to get the idea. It's a nontelegraphic kick. It's probably best to train a young child to do this kick. Unless an adult has such flexibility. Otherwise, it's not possible to do this one right and effectively.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby Hephaestus » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:34 pm

I've heard of this kick associated with Du Xin Wu or Tu Hsin Wu of Liuhequan and Ziranmen styles. Supposedly he was the last master of this technique, though that could be a dated opinion. I'd be very much interested in seeing how this kick is performed. Even bearing in mind extreme flexibility, I'm having difficulty picturing how it would chamber.
~H
Hephaestus
Forum Contributor

Postby Walter Wong » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:34 am

I haven't seen this kick performed correctly. My classmate mentions using this kick in sparring a several years ago. He demonstrated how he did it which pretty much looked like a front kick bringing his foot as high as possible to his chest and then shooting it out straight.

I imagine that it's close to that. But more along the lines of your foot coming up from the ground against your body with your knee slightly turned outwards (not the kind of chamber you see for a front kick/toe kick) and when the foot reaches your chest level, letting it snap out straight into your opponent without leaning back. I think the pelvis pushes foward as you squat into the ground on the standing leg to have the alignment, stability and power for this kick. So I would say your hip joints would have to be so flexible. This kick should shoot out from your chest like a 3rd arm/fist. A nontelegraphic type of kick.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby BUDGIE » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:59 am

It sounds like the Muay Thai Teep but standing leg would be more stable??

http://www.muaythai.com/En/chengmuay/Kratookuata.html
BUDGIE
Forum Contributor

Postby Walter Wong » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:27 am

I would roughly say yes, but the bottom foot more stable like you said and there is no leaning back.

For a visual, let your hand/arm hang down in front of you, slide your elbow upwards sliding your hand and forearm lightly brushing against your torso, when your hand reaches your chest, shoot it out straight in front of you with your back straight, no leaning back. Your foot/leg is basically moving in this kind of motion while staying stable and no leaning back. Extreme flexibility is needed to move your leg this way for this Embrace the Heart kick. I think this kick is also called Heart Piercing kick. I believe we are talking bout the samething though.
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby yat_chum » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:28 am

The Heart Piercing kick is found in Yuen Kan-San Wing Chun here is a article describing the kicks of the system http://www.wingchunkuen.com/sumnung/art ... kicks.html
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu