Weapons or not?

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Weapons or not?

Postby jtabajo » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:59 am

Do you think that training weapons takes away from your empty hand fighting? 10,000 days of sword is many days. It seems almost impossible to master. Wouldn't it be better just to perfect your empty hand fighting?
jtabajo
Forum Regular

Postby darth_freak » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:46 am

you may learn things for barehands techniques when practicing sword. And do you really want to master the sword? if not, you can practice sword and barehand :wink:
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby scramasax57 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:42 am

personally i think sword training has helped my barehand. having wooden sticks slashing towards your head and stabbing towards your face is alot more nerve-racking than barehand, so it helps you further suppress bad instincts (blinking, turning your head away, holding your breath). also since sword sparring really trains your footwork, your maneuvering is greatly incrase for barehand too. the only downside is that you get used to a different distance, but as long as you don't neglect your barehand training you'll eventualy be able to switch between the two distances at will.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby Walter Wong » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:47 am

I agree, sword training will help your barehand work. As for sword sparring to barehand sparring, if you do train both, well, it just takes a little adjusting to go from one to the other and back. :wink:
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby MidwestMantis » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:11 pm

No, they reinforce each other.

Besides, weapons are what martial arts are all about. Not very martial to be unarmed in a fight.

In the service we called that being an easy target. :D
MidwestMantis
Forum Regular

Postby Walter Wong » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:44 am

Very good point Midwest Mantis. I highly agree.

"Reinforcing" each other is more correct than "helping each other".

And yes, it wouldn't be martial to be unarmed.

"Easy target." :lol:
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu