lien bu chuan

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby anarcapeack » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:26 am

In italy there are the belief that in Nankin there are several Lianbuquan, one for any styles of Wushu. I think that this believing is wrong. Wath do You think?
Thanks
anarcapeack
Forum User

Postby Dvivid » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:55 am

There was one Lian Bu Quan sequence created at Nanjing Central Guoshu Institute by many masters to preserve a certain group of ancient techniques from Shaolin. It was the first thing taught to students at the Institute and it was passed down by many students to their own students, friends, family.

Also, the Chinese army taught Lian Bu Quan to train soldiers to fight quickly.

You know how it works when you say a sentence and then pass it on through 100 people? The sentence is very different by the time the 100th person says it. The same is true of Lian Bu Quan.

If you are looking for the authentic form of Lian Bu Quan from Nanjing Central Guoshu Institute, you will find it through Dr. Yang.

That is why the YMAA demonstration team won the Gold medal in China for Lian Bu Quan in 1993. Afterwards, some of the older judges said they had not seen this Lian Bu Quan for a long time.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby darth_freak » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:07 pm

but what about the butterfly kick and double saber thing? :?
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby anarcapeack » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:25 pm

When Dvivid said about China in 1993, this is referred to Popular China or to National China in Taiwan?
There are a book about Zhongyang Guoshu Guan that contains pictures of the complete Lianbuquan.
The problem is that in Italy a teacher (Chang Dsu Yao) spread a Taolu named Lianbuquan very different from Nankin Lianbuquan.
Thanks for Your replay
anarcapeack
Forum User

Postby Dvivid » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:22 am

Mainland China in 93. Lian Bu Quan is a barehand sequence, so I don't know about the saber thing, but I doubt it. Also, the butterfly kick is only for evasion, not for actually kicking someone.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Walter Wong » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:14 am

Lien Bu Chuan is a great sequence. For combative usefulness it's the best one in my opinion of the Long Fist curricullum.

There are throws/takedowns throughout most of the form and Chin Na's as well. The strikes can be obvious. Kicks are hidden within every step/stance change in the form. Trapping the opponent's arms and chokes are in there as well.

I heavily stress Lien Bu Chuan applications when I teach Wednesday nights. Students that night are striking, kicking, locking/sometimes choking depending on the technique and throwing/taking each other down with Lien Bu Chuan techniques. I'm personally still researching for more practical applications without changing or modifying the form and also studying Master Yang's Lien Bu Chuan video for the applications that he show.

These applications are difficult to describe in text. Please, if you have a chance to come to Boston, come visit YMAA Headquarters and I can show you.

For the meantime, look for the not so obvious applications in Lien Bu Chuan. Use your imagination but be realistic about what you come up with. Alot of the time the applications for takedown or locks are so obvious in the Lien Bu Chuan form that's easily over looked cause people so commonly only look for the striking aspects of the form. And additional hidden blocks are in there as well during countering an opponent's attack are overlooked in Lien Bu Chuan. Kicking is abundant in the form as well if you treat the stepping as kicks.
Last edited by Walter Wong on Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby citrus538 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:56 pm

I think it was me who started that thread about lian bu quan and it's relation to dragon gong fu. I was actually surfing martial arts site and found a dragon gong fu video which looked extremely similar to lian bu quan. At least, it was claimed to be dragon gong fu : )
citrus538
Forum Addict

Postby Walter Wong » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:02 am

I would like to see this Dragon form that looks like Lien Bu Chuan.

Because Lien Bu Chuan is such a famous form and practice in alot of Chinese Martial Arts schools, who knows if they've learned Lien Bu Chuan, modify the moves a little and claim it to be Dragon style and then the Dragon style discussed here, it's originality is questionable.

Or if this is a Dragon style that was an esoteric style.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby anarcapeack » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:20 am

I'm interesting to see this Dragon Boxing site, Me too.
I see that Lianbuquan in origin is a taolu of Longquan.
anarcapeack
Forum User

Postby citrus538 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:31 pm

I searched for my posts with the word "dragon" in them and found it. here's the link:

http://www.ymaaschool.com/phpbb2/viewto ... ght=dragon
citrus538
Forum Addict

Postby Walter Wong » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:47 am

You know, I did see this video awhile ago and I've even posted in that thread. I forgot I've seen it. :shock:

Anyways, his "dragon" form follows the Lien Bu Chuan pattern that's for sure. The techniques are slightly altered but in general it resembles Lien Bu Chuan from beginning to end.

I would like to meet this group one of these days and find out where they learned it.

According to their website, it's interesting to see that they teach Bok Fu which sounds like White Tiger in Cantonese. I guess they have dragon elements in their style?
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby darth_freak » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:06 am

they kinda live in California... :?
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Walter Wong » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:57 am

darth_freak wrote:they kinda live in California... :?

Well jeez. Why they have to go live there? :?

:P
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby yat_chum » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:57 am

I watched some of the other clips found on http://kokarate.com/photoalbum/mpegs/mpeg2.html#top and to some reason Praise you by Fatboy Slim kept jumping into my head. Plus the mass attack clips drive me nuts, my do so many styles use this format for multiple assailants, its so unrealistic. For a start you can only fight on person at a time, so if you allow yourself to be surrounded like you see in these clips would be a disaster, while you are dealing with one person, one of the others would be beating on you. In a multiple assailant attack, if you can’t escape the best way to deal with the situation is to attack one person hurting him and manipulating him so that he acts as a shield between yourself and the other aggressors. Mind you Ms Annie K scares the poop out of me.
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu