back 'popping'/'cracking' during chi gung

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

back 'popping'/'cracking' during chi gung

Postby jon2658 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:14 am

hi,

does anyone know why the back tends to 'pop'/'crack' (generally on the exhale), when you practice moving/standing chi gung?

i know that most of the time it feels good, particularly when you might have a bit of a back ache, and you can really feel the energy wash down.
sometimes i might practice some chi gung and if, for example, i have the wrong posture, or i concentrate too much on my back (thus increasing the problem), it can be, quite literally, a pain in the back. but when you take your mind of the back and assume the correct posture, at some point you can feel the various energy points in your back click and snap, and the released energy is like a stream of water rushing down.

however, i went to a bk frantzis seminar and he made out that the popping is both good and bad, and referred to it as the release of gases in the back (nitrous oxide i think he said, but dont quote me on that). he didnt have time to go into it further though

does anyone know what im talking about? and how much does it have to do with spine alignment? any help much appreciated!
jon2658
Forum User

Postby TonyM. » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:52 am

I think this is mostly spinal alignment. If your posture is good this is probably mostly a good thing, ie. these could be small self adjustments based on proper movement. If not perhaps more and better stance work would be in order for proper alignment , or in a serious case some dit da or chiropractic work would be called for.
TonyM.
Forum Contributor

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung