Learning Chin Na by video

Discuss YMAA Publishing's books, videos and DVDs. Have you read/seen an YMAA Publishing work? Share your thoughts, discuss its ideas. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: Dvivid, DavidR

Learning Chin Na by video

Postby KungFu Steve » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:23 pm

There are no Chin Na schools that I have found in my area (Ontario, Canada), so learning by video seems to be the next resort. I wanted to know what kind of success others have had with the Chin Na videos. I already have a background in 5 animals shaolin. I appreciate the input.

steve
KungFu Steve
Forum Newbie

Postby citrus538 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:57 pm

You can learn from a video, but your skill level will be extremely low unless you have somebody to practice with and correct you.
citrus538
Forum Addict

Postby zipwolf » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:46 am

Dude, chin na SCHOOLS? that teach nothing BUT IT? thats somewhat weird. But regardless.

If you get the videos, as was said before, get a partner, do all the exercises relating to it you can. Its a lot easier with a teacher though, you dont have to go through all the "Is this right?" "no" "Is this right?" "no" kinda thing.
zipwolf
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby scramasax57 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:23 am

i would be very surprised if you DID manage to find a school that taught cin na exclusively. it's not meant to be studied seperately. the four categories of striking, kicking, throwing, and chin na should all be studied together to gain a comprehensive understanding. if you meant you couldn't find any school that offered chin na as part of its training, try the DVD's. concentrate on picking out a very small number (ten, at most; five would be better) of simpler techniques and practice them an ungodly amount. once you've got those nailed down, try another set. keep in mind, even after you feel you have mastered them, there will undoubtedly be quite a few small mistakes in your techniques. there is no replacement for a live master, but i wish you good luck in your studies.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Return to YMAA Publishing