White Crane Staff

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

White Crane Staff

Postby dudewithattitude » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:58 am

OK, I posted something about this in the ymaa publishing section but didn't had any response, so I'm trying here...

Does anyone have any info on the staff used in Shaolin & Taiji Staff ? These seems to be the same on as in the Taiji staff forms and maybe White Crane. They are the flexible type...

I want to know the kind of wood, where can I buy them, etc. Anyone from Boston know about this ?
Still practicing...
dudewithattitude
Forum Contributor

Postby Walter Wong » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:19 am

I'm not sure what the standards are as far as the kind of wood or material the staff should be for Long Fist and White Crane.

I just know that traditionally, the White Crane staff if you stand it up from the ground, the top end should line up with your eyebrow.

Other than that, at the school, we just use any staff available for White Crane and Long Fist whether it's lined up to our eyebrows or higher.

I wouldn't worry too much bout what your staff is made of as long as it's strong and doesn't break. Even better that it doesn't splinter easily from hard contact with another staff. A splinter in your palm doesn't feel very good.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu