taboo topics

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby Tandem Car Park » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:05 pm

Nearly ALL professional athletes lift weights. These are people far stronger, faster, more powerful, and more coordinated than most of us ever hope to be. If you structure a program correctly, you can meet any goals you have. It should be done in a general manner since strength is very task specific. Olympic lifts and power lifts are the best places to start.

Olympic lifts and speed, power, strength, and flexability go hand in hand.
Tandem Car Park
Forum User

Postby DOM » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:48 am

Streanth training is a must for all sports and martial arts,it should be specific for the sport or intended purpose.Indurance and speed training is also a must.This is usualy the desiding factor of who is victorious in battle.Streanth,speed,indurance and fighting spirit will usualy prevail over tecknical ability.Dr.Yang even states that they use to hold weights in their hands when doing hard Chi Gung to train streanth and indurance for wielding weapons in battle.If one did not have the streath and indurance to last many hours they would be the first to die.Streanth training has always been a big part of martial arts even in ancient times they just used methodes that were available to them at that time.Like hard labor for one.Cross training in none specific excercises and sports should also be a part of every training regiman.Cross training helps one to avoid over training,helping to reduce over use injuries.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby TenTigers » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:36 am

there is a huge difference between weight training and bodybuilding. To develop power you need to use core exercises, such as deadlifts, squats,bench press, powercleans, and snatches. These exercises recruit many muscle groups at one time to develop overall strength and power, rather than isoting the muscle groups for looks. You develop functional strength, not "Beach Muscles".
As far as making progress, check out Body For Life. great workouts, great nutritional guidance, great results. Warning-the results in the BFL workout come very fast, and you can get very overzealous and anxious, and use too much weight. You can injure yourself very easily. Like Martial Arts training, you must check your ego.
I will not compromise my integrity, or that of my art, for the sake of commercialization.
TenTigers
Forum User

Postby TonyM. » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:03 pm

I like what I call task specific weight training. Stone locks, lifting jars and brass rings are good examples of these.
TonyM.
Forum Contributor

Postby Pooh_Tao » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:15 pm

This may have been mentioned already, but would it be reasonable to guess that generally people who use their muscles in their job tend to get a lot stronger than people who do separate workouts?

For example, would you get stronger from working out or say, farming?

I thought on the one hand workouts would target the specific muscle groups you wanted to work, and they would be designed specifically for strength or speed or whatever, but on the other, having to pull a plough for 12 hours a day on the condition that if you don't finish you don't eat might be a better motivator...

Anyways, I just thought it was interesting to ponder upon...
A fish can't bird, but a bird can fly
Ask me a riddle and I reply
Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston pie.
Winnie The Pooh

The fish would be foolish to seek escape from its natural environment.
Lao-Tse

Coincidence?
Pooh_Tao
Forum Contributor

Postby zipwolf » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:24 am

joe, that certainly would make you stronger, but only in the muscle groups that those jobs use themselves. Thats why a more rounded workout is generally important.

Also, there is a nutrition aspect to every workout, so regardless of whether its your job or not. You better be eating right, or you wont be doing much but destroying yourself.
zipwolf
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Blarg » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:20 am

Very interesting thread.

I think people are seeming to gloss over previous condition, and body type.

Someone who is already in good shape may not benefit much from doing weightlifting, if his goals are MA-directed. Then again, he won't suffer from it if it's done right, either, and may find benefit. Not all strength work makes one slow or massive.

But someone naturally skinny or in poor shape will be very well served by building up a little muscle, hopefully fairly quickly. Endurance-type exercises on top of a skinny body will build muscle very slowly, perhaps taking years to add significant muscle. And even then, not much compared to weight lifting, and there won't be much strength in it. Strength only hurts if it is used as a crutch; it is not a liability in and of itself. For instance, what happens if you get knocked to the ground or someone tries to get an armbar on you? Ideally, we would all like to be able to execute flawless technique to get us out of that -- or any -- situation. But practically speaking, we are not always going to have precisely the opportunity that makes technique matter much. Sometimes the best way to handle things is to give someone a shove -- simply to manhandle him with strength. If you should be so lucky as to have the opportunity for strength to make the difference between getting hurt and not getting hurt, you'll be terrifically glad you had some strength when you needed it.

The body is a complex assemblage of qualities and assets buiilt over time, and it doesn't need just one or two most favored virtues, but as many as it can get. Strength is not a useless asset. Whether it is weilding a heavy staff in training or, in real life, jumping high and pulling yourself over a wall so the three guys chasing you get lost in the distance, it's useful to everybody.

That's why it's not at all a waste of time for beginning athletes and the natural ectomorph to put in solid time on strength work. Both strength and lean muscle mass will lead to higher athletic performance for most of them. To get huge in weightlifting takes time, voracious eating habits, specialized routines, and, if you're going by the bodybuilders you see in magazines, steroids. And most of us STILL wouldn't look like that, because we wouldn't train hard enough and aren't interested in those goals.

Lift away. Do compound lifts. If you're so lucky as to get what you would consider a "surplus" of muscles, cardio and endurance, or simply eating less, will trim them down into lean endurance-based muscle fibers in time. In fact, martial artists do so much endurance work that it's very hard for them to gain the size from weightlifting that lifters do, as slow-twitch endurance fibers don't have the growth potential that fast-twitch fibers do, and as aerobic activity burns off the massive amounts of calories a seasoned athlete needs to put on muscle.
Blarg
Forum Regular

Postby scramasax57 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:15 pm

he natural ectomorph

whoa. is that like ectoplasm?
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Return to General Training and Practice