candle watching

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

candle watching

Postby dc » Fri May 20, 2005 3:15 pm

i was just wondering if anyone has become noticably quicker in their reaction time (seeing and processing, not moving) from watching a candle. i used to practice this everyday, but couldn't tell if it was actually working. seeing as how most boston people here must be in the sparring class and therefore MUST be watching candles (you'll get spanked if you don't), i just thought i'd throw this out there.
dc
Forum Guru

repeat

Postby dc » Fri May 20, 2005 3:16 pm

sorry for the repeat, my computer at werk is WACKED.
dc
Forum Guru

Postby willseitz » Fri May 20, 2005 6:12 pm

The primary effect of candle watching is the control of the blinking reflex. In short range combat if you can force a blink you have a window of oppurtunity. This may not seem a lot, but in terms of reaction time, it is a big difference.

Control of blinking should start happening in a couple weeks to a month. Later improvements such as mental focus are a little more elusive.
willseitz
Forum User

candle watching

Postby dc » Sun May 22, 2005 2:23 pm

hmm, really? i always knew that it was hard not to blink, but whenever i heard master yang speak of candle watching he said to always note every slight move that the flame makes. in doing so, it is supposed to build up the ability to sense even the smallest movements in your enemies body. also, at higher levels, you are supposed to place the candle on a swinging platform and again watch the slightest movements of the flame. i don't think that this next level would be necessary just to control the blinking reflex. just my opinion based on experience.
dc
Forum Guru

Postby beef » Mon May 23, 2005 8:40 am

I heard that watching incense sticks burn is supposed to be good for concentration as well? Has anyone else heard that?
beef
Forum User

Postby Walter Wong » Mon May 23, 2005 8:51 am

I'll admit I'm very bad with keeping up any candle training. But Master Yang says it don't have to be a candle. Just anything that makes small quick movements to focus on will be fine. Like a leaf on a tree branch and watching the leaf's every movement as the wind blows by it. If you have an aquarium and you have an active fish that moves around alot you can stare at that too.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

watching

Postby dc » Mon May 23, 2005 9:10 am

haha, true true. i used to watch the flag at fenway park in between innings. i like the fish in the tank one...that's pretty sweet.
dc
Forum Guru

Postby Zhao Zi Long » Wed May 25, 2005 11:34 pm

When I did candle watching I noticed that my night time vision had considerably improved.

Is that from the candles or am I just hallucinating? Stupid gnomes.
Zhao Zi Long
Forum Regular

Postby Tosh » Thu May 26, 2005 12:52 pm

I never tried candle training, but isn't lookin straight into the flame bad for your eyes?
Tosh
Forum Contributor

candles

Postby dc » Fri May 27, 2005 1:04 pm

candle flames don't give off very strong light. i wouldn't worry about burning your eyes out of their sockets.
dc
Forum Guru

Postby Tosh » Sat May 28, 2005 2:58 am

Every time i watch straight into a candle flame for a while, I still see flame when I look away, just like when you look into the sun.
Tosh
Forum Contributor

Postby DOM » Sat May 28, 2005 7:25 am

it is funny this subject came up and I am glad it did.I have been wondering the same things.I was doing candle training for some time and started to feel it could be damaging my eyes so I stopped doing it.I also would to see the flame for some time afterward like looking into the sun.I do not know about any one else but I was doing this in a dark room it seemed to be much worse.I have been wanting to start up again but have been concerned about damage to my eyes,I was planning this time on using incence.I do not feel it will be as bad but have not tried it yet.Has any one else used incence with out the feeling of doing damage to your eyes,and is it as effective as using a candle.Maybe there is an eye doctor out there or some one who knows one that mite be able to shed some lite on this subject (pun intended).
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

candles

Postby dc » Tue May 31, 2005 11:36 am

dont worry about safety. you see the image of the flame because you have been staring at it. stare at an orange circle for a minute then look at a white wall...you should see a blue or purple circle on the wall; however, this doesn't mean you are hurting your eyes. same with candle watching...i did it for several years and still have 20/20 vision.
dc
Forum Guru

Postby mah927 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:07 pm

I'd probably wear sun glasses if you are concerned with candle watching.
mah927
Forum Newbie

Postby TonyM. » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:54 am

Candle watching is good. Ten minutes should be sufficiant.
TonyM.
Forum Contributor

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu