Qigong Dangers?

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Qigong Dangers?

Postby samman » Mon May 02, 2005 7:53 pm

I have been looking at (and questioning) some sites that state that doing qigong incorrectly can be dangerous.

I recall reading/hearing somewhere that this is a misconception for the most part. I can't remember if it was one of Dr. Yang's books/DVD's, or an article I read of Earl Monitgue's.

I have Dr. Yang's Eight Simple Qigong Exersizes for Health DVD, and understand that the Eight Pieces of Brocade are basiclly conditioning exersizes. I also have Dr. Yang's The Root of Chinese Qigong, and have been reading through that... but can't recall it warning of any potential dangers.

Can anyone help to clear this up for me?

Thanks,
Sam
samman
Forum Regular

Postby scramasax57 » Mon May 02, 2005 8:04 pm

8 pieces of brocade is known as layman's qigong; it is easy to learn, quick to benefit, and the potential for harm is minimal. some advanced forms of qigong (small/grnad circulation, for example) can be dangerous, if not done under the careful tutelage of a qualified, experienced master. basically, stick to wai dan if you don't have a teacher.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby samman » Mon May 02, 2005 8:44 pm

Thanks, Eric. I did some reading/reviewing of the before-mentioned book, and it reinforces what you have said. Wai dan is generally safe, but nei dan can be dangerous if not done correctly.

Am I assuming correctly then that all of the video's & DVD's that Dr. Yang sells are wai dan sets?

Thanks again,
Sam
samman
Forum Regular

Postby Dvivid » Tue May 03, 2005 1:04 pm

Am I assuming correctly then that all of the video's & DVD's that Dr. Yang sells are wai dan sets?

Yes, except the first piece of the 8 Brocades is sitting meditation, which is technically Nei Dan, if you start conciously circulating Qi.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Qigong Dangers.

Postby qigongjohn » Tue May 31, 2005 2:42 pm

Greetings,
I have been reading odd articles regarding the dangers
of certain types of Qigong,and wonder if Xingychuan(Hsing-I-Ch'uan)and Baguazhang(Pa-Kua-Chang),
are safe,as they are with Taijiquan(Tai-Chi-Chuan) the three
internal Martial Arts,"Neijia".any help would be appreciated.
Regards Qigongjohn.
John
qigongjohn
Forum User

Postby scramasax57 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:50 pm

...why wouldn't they be?
n. andover, ma branch

scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Qigong Dangers

Postby qigongjohn » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:26 pm

Hi Scamasax57,
I was hoping for some help and knowlege from someone
with more experience than myself, as I wish to study these forms,and
practice them in the near future.Your answer do's not help much!
regards Qigongjohn.
John
qigongjohn
Forum User

Postby scramasax57 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:59 pm

your question does not make a lot of sense, i'm afraid. i'm not entirely sure i understood your question. it seemed to me that you were asking if practicing xingyi or bagua at the same time as qigong could be harmful. how could that be possible, since they have their root in qigong?
n. andover, ma branch

scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Chigong Dangers,

Postby qigongjohn » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:00 am

Please insert the word "or" between the two forms.Do the individual forms
have any known problems?.
Qigongjohn.
John
qigongjohn
Forum User

qi gong

Postby mark wilson » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:44 pm

hi qigongjohn, regarding you question about doing the wudang system
together i have been doing hsingi and tia chi for awhile now and
have had no problems and also white crane together(ie on different
days ) for quite a while with no problems.but i do go very slowly when
doing anything new .to see if it effects me in any way.so far no problems
when i do the forms i visualise the energy flowing to the limbs from the
dan tien and back i do the same wheather it is tia chi or hsingi .if
comon sense is used the circulation wheather it is tia chi hsingi or bagua
should be the same its all the same system
mark wilson
Forum User

Qigong Dangers

Postby qigongjohn » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:01 pm

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your reply,I think in retrospect it might be best for me
choose either Hsing-I or Pa Kua Chang,to go with the Tai-Chi that I have practiced for a number of years.I was a little concerned as their seems to be
a lot of rumours regarding the dangers of practicing some forms of internal martial arts,lets hope they are only rumours.
regards, John(Qigongjohn)
John
qigongjohn
Forum User

Postby Dvivid » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:48 am

Hi.

There have been several threads about the "DANGERS' of qigong. Or about 'Qigong Psychosis'. Etcetera.

Dr. Yang's book ALL discuss the general dangers of incorrect Qigong practice.

Im just a beginner myself, but it seems to me that people, in general, enjoy negativity. These 'problems', and 'dangers', make their lives seem more exciting, and help them to remain in a state of confused ignorance where they are not actually training anything, and are able to continue to delay facing true reality and looking inward.

It is also more 'dramatic' to discuss this negativity than to sit in Qigong meditation, or train some Internal Art technique, and actually experience their Internal side which generally leads to more introspection than speculation or needless worry.

No offense to you John.

Better to read a lot and answer these questions until you have no doubt and understand what you intend to train. And then train in the way described by the Masters before worrying too much.

One thing I suggest to ANYONE interested, is to start with candle training. Light a candle in a dark room and stare at it. Don't think of anything else but following the flickering light with your eyes, and focusing on the in and out of deep breathing. Don't think yet at all about Qi or channels or Qigong, or of any 'words' or 'concepts' at all for that matter. Somehow, the experiences gained through this exercise builds a foundation for moving on to conciously circulating your Qi and storing it. Eventually you don't need the candle anymore to reach this state of focused awareness. I suggest that THAT's when you should start training Qigong.

The internal arts are thousands of years old. Internal martial arts like Xingyi and Bagua are not meant to be trained without their Qigong techniques.

Qigong means 'Energy Work'. This is not a mysterious thing. The energy in your body keeps you alive. Its not scary. Qigong is the art of turning your attention inward, being aware of your energy, and learning to enhance its natural function.

IF you train for a while (months or years depending) and are actually able to store significant Qi in your Dan Tian, it can at that time become dangerous to haphazardly start leading Qi through your body, if you don't know the theory behind it. However, it is unlikely that you will store the required Qi for it to become dangerous if you don't know the theory of Qigong, so there is little need for concern.

Dangers include forcing Qi through the channels before they are given time to gradually widen, or allowing excess Qi to go into the legs and fry the nerves during sitting Qigong. Never lead Qi to the heart, it is usually too Yang already. It is generally considered dangerous to lead Qi up the Spine (Wind Path) or into the brain until you are Intermediate or Advanced. If you don't have a teacher, it is best to just do Wai Dan qigong, unless you truly understand all of the theory.

Or so I read.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Qigong Dangers.

Postby qigongjohn » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:48 pm

Hi Dvivid,
Thanks for yours and others info, my request was originaly to find
out more regarding any problems that members might have had with Qigong
training,as I was looking for another form to practice with The Taichi solo,
Sword forms,and Zhan Zhuang that I have practiced for a number of years.
the information was interesting,many thanks to all.John.
John
qigongjohn
Forum User

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung