Embryonic breathing

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Embryonic breathing

Postby aanoop125 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:24 pm

Greetings,

I have begun embryonic breathing but have been stuck with the very first step. I seem to be unable to find my mind center. I think I am confused on how exactly I should search for the center of the upper dan tien and lower dan tien. I will focus on my third eye and on gv-18 (third lock). Then I will try to feel the tops of my ears and search for the intersection of these lines. Am I going about this wrong? I've been at it for more than ten days now. When I close my eyes I will see "brightness" but I am unable to locate any center point. However I can feel and concentrate on my third eye strongly so this puzzles me. Any suggestions or tips?
aanoop125
Forum Newbie

Re: Embryonic breathing

Postby joeblast » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:24 pm

A huge component of this is all enhancement of signal to noise ratios. As such, certain signals will be tough to decipher if the noise floor is too high. (If noise floor is above the peaks of the signal you are searching for, then need to lower the noise floor until those peaks start popping out.)

So first, spend a good chunk of practice time calming the breath, its the "loudest" ongoing physical process. Get things like posture and abdominal breathing focused on. As you get better with the abdominal breathing, refine the timing of the parts - diaphragm, psoas, perineum, front of abdomen. The "diaphragm descends" on inhale - but interpret that as the crura of the diaphragm pulling down into the dantien area on the inhale. In effect, a subtle intent to pull and descend, along the deep centerline, from about the solar plexus level, down to the dantien level. This point here is very important as the breath deepens - eventually you want to stop using the nose, sinuses, and air passageways to facilitate the movement of air, leaving the breath movements all in the guts. Why is this important - neural attenuation. Herky jerky gut motion produces extra excitatory signals in the nerves - as does air flow past the olfactory nerve.

Working out the timing of the parts is one of the things that "increases the (desired) signal" and also helps attenuate unwanted signal (noise.)

So a way to find the upper dt...the sphenoid sinus lies just on the opposite side of bone from it. Try inhaling to that sinus, but be gentle, too forceful and it will cause a headache. This is close to where it is. You'll understand more after putting in some time on the lower stuff first.
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby aanoop125 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:38 pm

Thank you for your detailed response. I will refocus my practice with this framework in mind.
aanoop125
Forum Newbie

Postby Dvivid » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:37 am

I would also say if you're seeing brightness, then you're making progress and you should just be patient. Stop "searching" for it, and just sit and be quiet.

When you are "thinking", even a little, you're energizing brain cells. This keeps Qi away from the center. When you stop thinking, and focus entirely on feeling, then energy settles into the center line naturally, the limbic system. Then you'll feel the upper (and lower) dan tian.

Try not to "expect" anything. This is "grasping" and "attachment". Just feel what you feel.

That being said, visualizations can help, as a bridge to feeling. Every time you inhale, visualize the energy center in the head and the abdomen glowing brightly, like blowing on the coals of a fire.The Yi leads the Qi. The visualizations help you to set your intention correctly.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby joeblast » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:50 am

:)
/\

perhaps one other concept might help, from the secret of the golden flower, is "turning the light around" at the niwan. imagine a movie played of the sun, shining, except backwards, where all the rays travel back to the sun.

light is not heavy, of course ;)
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung