Footware

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Footware

Postby pilotfish » Tue May 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Hello. I've been practicing barefoot indoors. I'm moving to a place with a deck.

I see different kinds of "kung fu shoes" and other types.

What are the differences, advantages/disadvantages of slip-ons, tie-ons, canvas, leather, etc.?

Do these factors make a difference?

I'm not one for blind following of fads, image ("authentic" equipment), etc. In the DVDs it appears that Dr Yang simply wears plain sneakers, and that's ok with me.

What do students on this forum like?

Thanks.
Last edited by pilotfish on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pilotfish
Forum Contributor

Re: Footware

Postby Inga » Wed May 21, 2014 6:24 am

Hello Pilotfish

Are you barefoot indoors and now you are thinking about shoes? Are you worried about splinters on the deck? I would continue to go barefoot, unless it's cold. I like a broad toe canvas shoe with rubber sole. I have an 'outdoor' pair and 'indoor' pair - so one is clean, the other, not so much : )

I think your assessment that you should not worry too much about it hits the spot. Find what is comfortable and you'll be in good shape. Issues I've had myself are trying those canvas 'slipper' style shoes (which cost about $5) which were too rigid and slippery and regular 'Keds' type of shoes can have a felt like covering on the sole which I also found slippery.

Happy training!
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby Dvivid » Fri May 23, 2014 11:18 am

Dr. Yang and many YMAA folks use FeiYue
http://www.feiyue-shoes.com/pages_en/
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Sunflower » Mon May 26, 2014 3:13 pm

I use Merrell Barefoot and never felt so comfortable. You can find more barefoot-type brands if you look out there
Sunflower
Forum User

Postby chh » Thu May 29, 2014 12:31 pm

I like the FeiYue shoes a lot. They're remarkably long-lasting, and I've used the same pair in taiji and taekwondo classes for about 5 years. I notice that they slip a bit more than I'd like, especially if they've gotten really cold sitting in the car or something, but that could just be because they're now very smooth on the bottom :) I'd recommend these shoes highly.

I think it's good to practice in a few different types of footwear, too. Barefoot, soft shoes, sneakers etc., so you don't get surprised when you have to do something barefoot or in street shoes and it feels really different! Someone asked me to show them some taiji stuff when I was wearing rain boots once, and that was definitely an interesting experience...
chh
Forum Addict

Postby pilotfish » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:35 pm

Thanks, all. I decided to start at the bottom with a $15 pair of Felyue. I know about'you get what you pay for', but this is light use not all day every day.

BTW -- if anyone knows the correct (Chinese?) pronunciation, please let me know. Thanks.
pilotfish
Forum Contributor

Postby vvanesse59 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:55 pm

I believe the pronounciation would be like: fay youeh.

Feiyue { féyué } pinyin:
Feiyue = Flying forward. (English Translation) According to Chinese traditions, FEIYUE symbolizes the dual elevation of both body and mind.

But my question is for those that have used and are using the feiyue shoes::: Are they "sticky" so as to cause too much "torque" in the knee and leg on lotus spin/kicks? In my other post on YMAA forum taijiquan, I am asking the question the same. My addidas and puma, even though they have fairly smooth soles, stick to the blacktop park walkways and also concrete walks. I am looking for something that will have a little slide to it. :?: :?: Any help greatly appreciated.... otherwise I may be just looking at the rubber sole kungfu slippers like Cheng man ching, and others wear... Vic
vvanesse59
Forum Contributor

Postby pilotfish » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:48 am

Thanks for the phonetics and translation.

I'm using them (these are the cheap Feiyue's) on a wood deck, and the traction is good except when it's wet. When wet, not much traction at all.
pilotfish
Forum Contributor

Postby Sanfung » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:18 pm

I'm considering getting myself a pair of Feiyue as well. Currently I practice barefoot indoors and on other hard surfaces. Practicing barefoot on concrete isn't too bad, though I have to clean my feet afterwards.

Depending on the surface, would practicing barefoot be bad for the joints? I remember the whole argument a while back over jogging on concrete being unhealthy.

Regardless, I had wanted to ask something if that's all right. I had wanted to practice in grass, but the tick population in my area is extremely high. What sort of footwear might be advisable in this case? Does Feiyue make something suitable?

Thank you.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Postby ManLar » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:51 am

I use ankle supports. The same one they use in Muay Thai. It's help me move around better without hurting my ankles and feet. You can see the ankles in the protection gear section at http://www.ausfight.com
http://www.ausfight.com
ManLar
Forum Newbie

Return to General Training and Practice