Sitting on crossed legs stance?

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga, taiqiman

Sitting on crossed legs stance?

Postby Trevor » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:15 pm

Sitting on crossed legs stance in Dr. Yangs book Tai Chi Chuan Classical Yang Style on page 142 (2010 edition) states to turn the leg and foot 90 degrees, however when you look at the picture above it looks like Dr. Yang is doing something completely different than described. Is this a mistake, does he mean turn counterclockwise or clockwise, what orientation is this clock or what kind of clock is he referring to? What he is doing looks more like stepping forward if anything and nothing like turning clockwise from the horse stance position. Could someone please describe this to me in other terms so I can figure out this stance? I have read the wikepedia description however it doesn't help at all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7lwlhYnlec this link show dr yang demonstrating the stance with some kids however there is question whether it is correct? If this is correct then the pivoting and turning would be 180 degrees and not 90 degrees..... I'm confused...
Trevor
Forum User

Re: Sitting on crossed legs stance?

Postby chh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:04 pm

...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That video shows a stance training exercise going from sitting on crossed legs on one side to the other. If you look closely, as they do 180 degree turns with their bodies, each foot is actually doing something a little less than a 360 degree turn.

This bit is based on a misunderstanding of the post, but I think it's true about the stance and might be useful:
I don't have that tai chi chuan book with me, but I think you're talking about the instructions for changing from a stance like deng san bu 登山步 to sitting on crossed legs, which is how many but not all of the sitting on crossed legs stances happen in the form. In that case, the front foot goes from toed in slightly to pointing out- about a 90 degree turn. I don't know if that's clear. It's hard to find a video that shows it well- here's the best I could get. It's the transition from brush knee left, which ends in deng san bu into turn body/circle fist. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4P722tMotI#t=2m41s

Incidentally, does anyone have links to other videos or materials from the Tai Chi Farm? I've heard great stories about it.

Edit: Oops, I have to correct myself. I found the page you're talking about online, and now I see it's talking about going from ma bu to sitting on crossed legs. I dunno. If you're turning to the right, the front foot is turning clockwise. When you're in the sitting on crossed legs stance after turning right out of ma bu, the foot is 90 degrees clockwise from the direction you're facing.
chh
Forum Addict

Postby Trevor » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:11 pm

I appreciate, thanks, but I am still confused. I need it broken down step per step.... in the horse stance when turning with what foot do you turn into the sitting on crossed legs stance? And how are you supposed to get it to look like what it shows in the book, do you flip backwards 180 degrees like the kids are doing in the video I posted?
Trevor
Forum User

Postby chh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:58 am

If you're turning to face right from ma bu, you'll pivot on the heel of your right foot and the toe of your left. There's details in the timing of the turn but I can't address them.

The picture of ma bu on p141 of the book you're talking about and the one of sitting on crossed legs on p142 aren't taken from the same angle (from what I can tell). If they were, and Dr. Yang turned to the right into sitting on crossed legs, the pic on p142 would have him facing the lower left corner of the picture.

I think if you try to match what's going on in the videos you and I posted you'll be doing it the way the book describes- the photos just don't illustrate the transition.
chh
Forum Addict

Postby Trevor » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:00 am

Thanks, I got now!
Trevor
Forum User

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan