Qigong and sport

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Qigong and sport

Postby sengtsan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi,

Does sport (running, cycling for eg) spoil the energy one may build through qigong?

Thanks
sengtsan
Forum Addict

Re: Qigong and sport

Postby yeniseri » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:43 pm

sengtsan wrote:Hi,

Does sport (running, cycling for eg) spoil the energy one may build through qigong?

Thanks

What do you mean by 'spoil the energy'? I can only guess but you need to explain.
An excellent strategy is to do qigong in AM and other activities in PM or vice versa.
Doing baduanjin before running is a good warm-up /cool down activity.
More 'intensive' (visualization, position requirements, etc) qigong MAY be done once/dail then do the sporting event the next day since running/jogging effects (type and duration) often last 24-48 hours and more so the recuperative phase can be help with stuff like wuqinxi or some similar activity.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby sengtsan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi Yeniseri,

Actually, by _spoil_ I mainly meant _use up_but at the same time _impair_ its quality at some point by dispersing it.

But your answer already shed light on the matter of my question since you are implying that sports are not really equivalent to waidan. The use of the body made in sports are like sex to some extent: you need to wait some time before/after internal work. Am I understanding you correctly?

It has been years that I stopped being involved in intensive sports. Medical Doctors say it's good for general health so I was wondering if I had to resume and add some sport practice ( in tune with my old age- 38 years old) to qigong or just stick to qigong. There is also the CMA option, but where I live, it would mean essentially working with DVDs and books and I am not sure it makes sense.

I would be happy to read any comments on this
Thanks
sengtsan
Forum Addict

Postby yeniseri » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:29 pm

To my knowledge, there isn't any comparative equivalent but Dr Yang's book on qigong is excellent.
Most of information is through face to face with your teacher plus what you have experienced through that dialogue.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:45 am

Is it bad to utilize the money in a revolving fund? ;) If so, why is the money there in the first place? Not to be under- or not-at-all utilized, yet not to be drained away needlessly.

You're not a container and cant be filled like a jug with water - you're a sponge in the ocean, the current flows through you. Even in doing closedown exercises after qigong or meditation...like a steak marinating, there's only so much of the marinade that will soak into the meat! Dont think of it as a zero sum game - just like healing somebody with your qi, you have to expend some to gain some. Of course it can be overdone, it is all about an appropriate level for you and you dont want to overdo it and deplete yourself, but dont worry about "using the energy in the container" :D Use it, be natural, be logical and honest with yourself in assessing these things and you'll do allright.

Part of qigong is mindful intent, awareness. Meditation later in the day is always an excellent yin-component to yang-working out and sweating and such. Squeeze the sponge more firmly and it will soak up more (but not squeeze so hard as to destroy the sponge.)
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby sengtsan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:27 am

Well, thanks joeblast for your good explanation!

:lol: :lol:
From now on, doing qigong will make my dream come true: being SpongeBob! This is sooo great!

Image[/img]
sengtsan
Forum Addict

Postby joeblast » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:03 pm

:lol: hahaha
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung