Sight and Hearing during standing meditation

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Sight and Hearing during standing meditation

Postby earl.spartan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:50 am

Hi! I did standing meditation before but stopped due to some sensations I have experienced during (qigong) meditation (sometimes even when doing 24 Yang -- Taichi). I am unsure if the sensations were due to faulty execution.. The sensations that I felt are the following:

1. sight is "cloudy" (i can still see but it is like my sight is blocked by a thin sheet of white cloud) -- "normal sight" is restored after meditation

2. tinnitus/ringing ears or sometimes the quality of my hearing is as if i am wearing ear muffs (this comes and goes during meditation)

3. i do not know how to describe this one well, but i feel as if my inner core is separating from my body.. sometimes i feel that starting in my chest (heart) or sometimes it starts in my head. when that happens, it is almost like you are nauseated but not... like falling yet i am stable.

4. other feelings are: warmth in body, electrical sensations in fingertips, jerking (as if my body is correcting itself)... but i am more concerned with the first 3 that i have mentioned.

i am a novice and would like to practice the right way. i am now studying dr. yang jwing ming's intro to qigong and found it very enlightening. i like his humility too. i do agree with his comment about memory loss (as a side effect) -- as i have experienced this too (another reason why i stopped practicing).

comments are appreciated. please share with me what you think as i would like to get back to practice soon (after i finish dr. ming's dvds).

thank you!
blessings to all of you.

/earl.spartan
earl.spartan
Forum Newbie

Postby joeblast » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:28 pm

You're only getting this with standing meditation but not seated? Interesting.

drinking or drugs? sexually overactive or anything? (based on 1, 2 & 3)

Warmth in body is good (not referring to overheating, are you?) My fingertips are tingly plenty often. Jerkyness can also be a mineral deficiency that I've heard.

Might be a good idea to have this diagnosed in person by a good TCM doc.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby earl.spartan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:48 pm

I just emphasized "standing" because that is what I usually do.. but I should have used the general term instead.

Medically "healthy". No vices.
Asking a TCM doc may be a good idea but these things on the list are experienced only when meditating or practicing TC form
earl.spartan
Forum Newbie

Postby joeblast » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:44 am

Post this up over at thetaobums.com, there should be some folks more knowledgeable than I with regard to these subtleties. I can make quasi-educated guesses, but there'll be plenty more concrete responses there. :) Good luck _/\_
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby earl.spartan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:39 pm

Thank you. I might try that out :)
earl.spartan
Forum Newbie

Re: Sight and Hearing during standing meditation

Postby cgarland » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:14 pm

earl.spartan wrote:Hi! I did standing meditation before but stopped due to some sensations I have experienced during (qigong) meditation (sometimes even when doing 24 Yang -- Taichi). I am unsure if the sensations were due to faulty execution.. The sensations that I felt are the following:

1. sight is "cloudy" (i can still see but it is like my sight is blocked by a thin sheet of white cloud) -- "normal sight" is restored after meditation

2. tinnitus/ringing ears or sometimes the quality of my hearing is as if i am wearing ear muffs (this comes and goes during meditation)

3. i do not know how to describe this one well, but i feel as if my inner core is separating from my body.. sometimes i feel that starting in my chest (heart) or sometimes it starts in my head. when that happens, it is almost like you are nauseated but not... like falling yet i am stable.

4. other feelings are: warmth in body, electrical sensations in fingertips, jerking (as if my body is correcting itself)... but i am more concerned with the first 3 that i have mentioned.

i am a novice and would like to practice the right way. i am now studying dr. yang jwing ming's intro to qigong and found it very enlightening. i like his humility too. i do agree with his comment about memory loss (as a side effect) -- as i have experienced this too (another reason why i stopped practicing).

comments are appreciated. please share with me what you think as i would like to get back to practice soon (after i finish dr. ming's dvds).

thank you!
blessings to all of you.

/earl.spartan

if you have not done the work to significantly build your vessel of chi, and if you cannot keep your chi sunk low in your tan tien, it could rise up and go to your head and hurt you. just like the first step in building a house is to pour the foundation, you should get a qualified teacher, build a strong foundation of leg strength and build your tan tien before experimenting too much with circulating chi in meditation because it is powerful and it can cause a person harm if it is done incorrectly. there is no need to rush things, tai chi and qigong are about existing in the now. god (or tao) bless you, i hope your pain goes away.
cgarland
Forum Contributor

Postby earl.spartan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:57 pm

Thank you for the input!
earl.spartan
Forum Newbie

Standing post

Postby runestone0 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:20 pm

When I first began standing years ago I experienced some strange sensations of hot and cold--never anything regarding eyesight, hearing or nausea. But internal "gases" explode from every orifice--that is normal. Your body is kicking out the jams and releasing toxins.

The jerking? Probably the normal shaking one experiences when first beginning the post practice. I shook and jerked as though controlled by invisible strings. Eastern explanation is chi working its way through blockages. But, it also can be plain old lactic acid buildup in the legs and shoulders. The shaking dissipates with time and is normal in all I've been taught and researched.

Odd thing--I just focused on the Embrace the Tree/Hold the Ball posture at heart level. As I increased time, the lactic acid buildup in the shoulders caused more than discomfort. After twenty minutes or so it would dissipate--pain gone. Master Yang told me it was a "chi dam" which eventually moved. If it had been just lactic acid buildup it would have gotten worse, so it makes sense.
Bob Ellal
runestone0
Forum Contributor

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung