Another 8 sections question!

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Another 8 sections question!

Postby Maestromap » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:17 pm

ok, Lately I've been wondering if the version of the 8 sections of brocade I'm doing is correct. The version I learned is from these videos: here. Is this method correct? I know there are many variations to the 8 sections but I'm not sure how good of a version this one is. I do plan on getting Dr. Yang's book and DVD in the near future. any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael
Maestromap
Forum Contributor

just my opinion

Postby nitsuj » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:30 am

If you practice this version of the set, it won't hurt. When (and you should ASAP) you get the DVD, be sure to watch the entire thing before practicing. You will find some similarities and some significant differences in the actual technique. HOWEVER, Dr. Yang's instruction will provide you with the theory of the practice, as well as subtleties of technique that your link(s) do not provide.
I would recommend buying the 8 Pieces DVD, watch it, and to take notes as if you were writing your own text on the set.
THEN buy the book to compare your notes to, and fill in any blanks you may have.
Root of Chinese Qigong is HIGHLY recommended too; probably even more so than the 8 Pieces Book (DVD is essential!)--- though both would be nice.
nitsuj
Forum Addict

Postby joeblast » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:50 am

Its not a matter of correct or incorrect, its a matter of good, better, best - any of these versions of 8 brocades will have its own qualities that focus a little more on this or that. Study what you can get your hands on, adopt particulars that resonate better with you and your body, study the underlying theories to ascertain the efficacy and make the choice that works best for you.

I used to do 8 brocades but havent in a long time - I have an entire regimen I do that is rather yoga-ey and qigong-ey, many components of 8 brocades are in it, but I have too many other things to work on to limit the motion to that which is prescribed by the 8 brocades :)
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby darth_freak » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:18 pm

seems to me this guy is going a bit too fast.
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

quickly now...

Postby nitsuj » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:30 pm

Yeah, he does rock through it.
Maybe he places more emphasis on the external aspects of the set. If you do it with more emphasis on stretching and moving faster there will probably be many benefits including increased flexibility and getting in a decent slightly-elevated heart rate cardio workout.
The trade off, I'm guessing, is not developing a sensitivity to qi circulation- and isn't that a major point of practicing qigong? O
therwise going for a swim or a hike might be a better use of time.
Either way, depending on your goals, you can benefit from regular practice of 8 pieces.
nitsuj
Forum Addict

Postby Maestromap » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:17 pm

Okay, so a question about using 'The Root of Chinese Qigong' book. for me, a beginner, what is the main objective I should be looking for in applying the theories in Dr. Yang's book to the 8 sections. Dr. Yang covers a lot, and I mean a lot, of material in that book and it is kind of daunting to me. what should I focus on first.

Also, would I be at a great disadvantage if I got the 8 sections book as opposed to the DVD? I can get the book from my local Barnes and Noble but not the DVD and I don't have a credit card.

thanks,
Michael
Maestromap
Forum Contributor

no problem

Postby nitsuj » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:39 pm

If the book is what is available to you, then by all means get the book... plus, with the holidays coming up---DVD might make a good present.
As far as "The Root" is concerned, it is a great overall introduction to some of the major concepts of qigong. Of particular importance (at least in regards to where I was/am) was the regulation section (body, mind, breathing-especially the concept of normal abdominal breathing), and the Kan and Li section.
It would be a good idea to slowly read over the sections and just attempt to become familiar with the "big" concepts, some terminology, and pay particular attention to the "easy" stuff---relaxation, breathing from the belly rather than the chest, ways in which qi is moved, etc.
Take it slow and make sure it all sinks in.
nitsuj
Forum Addict

Postby joeblast » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:04 am

My suggestion for the Root book is just to keep it handy for reference. Going back to it will mean different things to you as you make progress, as you gain understanding and experience many aspects of the book will take on new and deeper meaning as you gain familiarity with the concepts.

There's no test, so dont cram! Put the sponge in the water and let it absorb what it will, then return when it has capacity again ;) You want to "graduate from school" understanding these things thoroughly as opposed to getting a 4 year degree in two, so to speak. It will help you know the path so that you may better walk it.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung