Qigong and Cancer

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Qigong and Cancer

Postby Dave Joyce » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:06 am

Hi guys, my Dad who is in his seventies was recently diagnosied with a tumour in his bowel and on further tests it was discovered that it had spread to his liver. My Dad has always been very active, never smoked, moderate drinker, was diet consious and played a lot of sports. Along with the rest of the family he has decided to forego chemo and doesn't need any drugs at the moment. My sister is an Acupuncturist and is giving him treatments twice a day including a liver flow treatment which is very benefical.

I have a couple of questions if anyone could be so kind as to advise us:

I would love any suggestions as regards what type of Qigong to practise? We are working on some very basic breathing techniques as he would not be familiar with this at all and finds it hard to relax enough to correct his breathing let alone any movement.

My sister was wondering if it would be of most benefit to practise Qigong before or after Acupuncture treatments?

Any other advise would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks in advance
Dave Joyce
Dave Joyce
Forum Newbie

Qigong and Cancer

Postby runestone0 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:18 pm

Dave,

I'm a four-time cancer survivor--I think my story is posted somewhere on this site. I practice standing post--which is a difficult sell to anyone. So I can't recommend that in this case.

As you know, the abdominal/diaphramatic breathing is the core. I'd sell it from a Western point-of-view: calms the mind and body out of the flight-or fight syndrome (which pumps adrenal hormones into the system that interfere with healing). Also it "supercharges" the lymphatic system, which relies on breathing and muscular action to pump (vital part of the immune system). The whole meditation thing is difficult for older guys like my father--goes against the Western 'work ethic' (if you're just sitting there you must be wasting time!). I'd have him start sitting in his recliner doing the abdominal breathing. If he gets into it, then sitting on the edge of a chair.

My acupuncturist, who trained in Japan for five years at its top institute, told me to avoid qigong after treatment. He basically told me to let the treatment do it's job and recalibrate things. Wait 'til the next day to practice qigong. It's hard--one wants to make things happen. But as I've learned, it's always better to set up the conditions to allow things to happen. That Taoism is infectious@

Regards,

Bob Ellal
Bob Ellal
runestone0
Forum Contributor

Postby Dave Joyce » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi Bob, many thanks for the all the suggestions and help. My Dad is very open minded and funnily enough we just started working abdominal breathing with him yesterday and he responded well. I was hoping to introduce some easy sitting Qigong exercises once he can get a good handle on the breathing and then hopefully move onto moving Qigong if he is handling everything.
Dave Joyce
Dave Joyce
Forum Newbie

Qigong and Cancer

Postby runestone0 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:18 pm

Dave,

Certainly some movement to get the blood and energy circulating would help too--release a few endorphins. Eight Pieces of Brocade--always good. I use elements in my warm-ups. Dr. Yang's "Primary Set" in several of his books is even more flowing. I use the first two pieces after my standing, among a few others, to "kick out the jams."

Miracles happen--I guess that's true in my case. My favorite Taoist quote is: 'My life is in my hands--not in Heaven's."

I wish you guys the best!
Bob Ellal
runestone0
Forum Contributor

Postby Dave Joyce » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:57 am

Bob, many thanks for all the help, advice and wishes. I wish you the very best as well thank you.
Dave Joyce
Dave Joyce
Forum Newbie

Postby joeblast » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:56 am

The healing sounds for the internal organs might also be appropriate here - maybe after your pops gets some experience under his belt with the abdominal breathing this might be a good thing to introduce.

I also cant say enough good stuff about a simple standing practice. Simple for the body but harder for the mind :lol: But of course, do a good job placing awareness on breath and that is a huge step towards conquering any sort of boredom with it, once you start seeing some of the effectiveness it has.

_/\_
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

qigong/cancer

Postby runestone0 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:09 am

I certainly agree with Joe about standing. The best introduction is Master Lam's "Way of Energy;" basic I Chuan health set. Five postures to be held for about five minutes each. The change in postures helps alleviate any potential boredom for beginners. I'd start with a minute or two each posture and add time gradually.
Bob Ellal
runestone0
Forum Contributor

Postby Dave Joyce » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:35 pm

Thanks a million guys, the help is really needed as well as greatly appreciated.
Dave Joyce
Dave Joyce
Forum Newbie

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung