Eight Simple Qigong Exercises For Health?

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Eight Simple Qigong Exercises For Health?

Postby Shinobibeatz1234 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:43 pm

I have both the dvd and book and it said that you should do the exercise for a pacific amount of minutes and reps for each piece of the exercise. But my question is it dangerous to do more than what the book or dvd instruct me to do, for example for the first piece for the sitting exercise called "Bi Mu Jing Zuo (Closed eye and sit still)" the instruction is to meditate for 3 minutes or 5, but if i do it for 30 minutes would it do me any harm
Shinobibeatz1234
Forum Regular

time/reps

Postby nitsuj » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:57 pm

If you dig carefully through the DVD, you'll find Dr. Yang saying that the number of repetitions are to be used as suggested guidelines. Some people may not have the ability to perform each piece the stated amount of times; they are encouraged to start with less reps.
So, obviously, doing less wouldn't be harmful.
From what I've heard, 8 pieces is a very safe qigong that is suitable for many different ability levels. My assumption is that it would be fine to increase the reps/time of the pieces. Remember not to skip, or skip around, any of the pieces- even if some of them aren't performed as much as the others ( you should attempt a balance between them all ).
Also, doing 5 reps with a relaxed body, mind, and breath, while remaining focused, will be of WAY MORE benefit than dong 50 reps of tense practice with a wandering mind (see "Root of Chinese Qigong" "regulations section).

Anyone else have any input?
nitsuj
Forum Addict

Postby Dvivid » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:54 am

It would be fine to sit for a half hour. The first piece of the sitting set is an anomaly. Normally, for all the standing and sitting pieces, you want to train each one for the same amount of time.

But, the 1st sitting exercise is just sitting and sinking the Qi. Bring the energy into the centerline of the body and lead it into the abdomen. You could do that all day without harm.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Shinobibeatz1234 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:31 pm

thanks for the answers!, and i will do the exercise now with no worry
Shinobibeatz1234
Forum Regular

Postby amelia.john011 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:12 am

By learning the ancient exercises, breathing, posture and sensory awareness, you can control the smooth flow of qi in the meridians of the body. Allows you to enter a quiet and peace within you. In China, many cancer patients in practice qi gong as part of your daily routine to help them fight their disease. With training as a group, patients with cancer may also be of emotional support from each other.
amelia.john011
Forum Newbie

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung