feeling chi

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

feeling chi

Postby jamesinct » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Hello, my name is james, i'm new to the forum but have been enjoying master mings books for years. I have a question about chi kung, I was doing a chi kung set for a while, I would practice right after I awoke in the morning, and again befored I went to bed. The thing is, I have never felt the chi cirulating in my body. I think its called small circulation ( ? ) I have asthma, and it did improve my lung function, but for some reason I never felt what the masters describe in their books. any suggestions? thanks.
jamesinct
Forum Newbie

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:16 am

Small circulation is reasonably advanced, you need to have some ability at embryonic breathing first. You can achieve it with just chi gung basic I think but it would take a long time. It involves reverse abdominal breathing, visualisations and a large amount of chi stored p. Basic chi gung tends to use the chi as its produced so this helps you health but not your more advanced goals that require a grater chi capacity as I understand it. Others on this site would no more from experience, I have only just started working on small circulation and expect it to take me a long time.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:12 pm

Well, if you've never "felt qi" then no sense in trying to do small circulation :)

Embryonic Breathing is a great way to begin to separate out the signal from the noise ;) Best to start out using natural abdominal breathing - you can generate plenty of qi from that method - and it will also serve to soften up the diaphragm and surrounding tissues so that if you do start a reverse breathing regimen in the future, you will get a better start because of the prior training.

If you do some work and smooth out the tissues then the sensations come more smoothly and noticeably. Generally speaking its easier to feel qi when doing seated meditation; finding movement within stillness. This will also help improve lung function so it may even assist in alleviating the asthma, although there's no guarantee of that, all up to your practice.

We dont have an embryonic breathing thread here right now, do we? :lol:
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Dvivid » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:52 am

James, I recommend you choose a qigong set, like the 8 Brocades, or White Crane Soft Qigong, and practice every day for 6 months. Over time, your sensitivity to physically feel qi will increase naturally.

You can't force it. You just have to practice and it will come.

I also recommend practicing Embrace the Tree, to develop your central energetic circulation.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

feeling chi

Postby tacklebloke » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:22 am

when I commence my breathing exercise, either sitting down or standing walking. I always feel the tickling sensation on my palms.
Is this the chi movements moving towards my hands, other locations are bearly visible until now.

I only have one very good experience of a high speed (bullet train like) shooting tickling sensation from my lower back taking the route of the spine in a very quick interval in a one direction route going upwards to the back of the upper cavity of my body; it was quite afew months ago while I was doing my usual breathing exercise before I sleep....I believe I am in a semi concious stage about to doze off, is this the embryonic exercise that one is referring to?

Cheers
Tacklebloke
Little knowledge is dangerous, so ask and you will be answered and exercise a little thought.
tacklebloke
Forum Newbie

Postby Josh Young » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:58 am

I felt something awaken recently
i think of it as qi

i cannot explain the sensations, but heat was produced
and the energy was able to be directed
even far away

or close

I could touch someone with it, or without it, and they noted the difference strongly without any suggestion.

But then maybe this was not qi, maybe it was kundalini.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby joeblast » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:47 am

Pretty much all these phenomena can be reduced to a qi-description of some sort. I've seen a significant amount of sacral or spinal energy being confused with kundalini - but those almost always wind up being a far cry from what 'some reliable sources' (e.g. more than a couple whose experience and opinions I trust) say true kundalini arising really is. Its like comparing a 1000lb conventional bomb to a nuclear device, to draw an analogy.

tacklebloke, what you're describing isnt embryonic breathing. the semi conscious state is called the hypnogogic state, good but keep your awareness through the experience, you dont want to meditate in oblivion! embryonic breathing is ostensibly establishing a singular resonance at the lower dantien, first through simple breathing processes and then extrapolated to the whole. using this plus longevity breathing has given me some pretty interesting results, e.g. supercharged metabolism when my breaths begin averaging a certain slow rate.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung