Energy work for Cancer

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Standing Post vs. Cancer

Postby runestone0 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:04 am

Qigong practice--mainly standing post meditation--helped me immensely in my successful battles with four bouts of supposedly terminal bone lymphoma cancer in the early nineties. I practiced it as an adjunct to chemotherapy, which is how it should always be used.

Qigong kept me strong in many ways: it calmed my mind--taking me out of the fight-or-flight syndrome, which pumps adrenal hormones into the system that could interfere with healing. It energized my body at a time when I couldn't do Western exercise such as weight-lifting or jogging--the chemo was too fatiguing. And it empowered my will and reinforced it every day with regular practice. In other words, I contributed to the healing process, instead of just depending solely on the chemo and the doctors. Clear 14 years and still practicing!

I learned qigong from Ramel Rones, disciple of Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming. It's very important to learn qigong from a highly-qualified teacher who has learned from a bona fide master with a lineage originating to China. Beware--many self-proclaimed "masters" teach untested qigong!

However, standing post is a difficult sell as it's initially difficult to hold the postures--lactic acid build-up in the shoulders and legs. I stood for an hour a day specifically in the Embrace the Tree/Hold the Ball posture. It's far easier for beginners to use a variety of postures, holding them for five minutes each. A good health set for beginners is outlined in Master Lam's "The Way of Energy." It's the first set in I Chuan.

Bob Ellal
Author, 'By These Things Live: Chronicles of a Four-Time Cancer Survivor'
Bob Ellal
runestone0
Forum Contributor

Postby joeblast » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:00 pm

Wonderful story, Bob!
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Standing post vs. cancer

Postby runestone0 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Hey Joe,

Thanks. But I've found that trying to get people to Embrace the Tree is very difficult. I've taught at Hartford Hospital as well as private cancer patients. They just won't do it--and I think it's the most important qigong for health. Martial artists will practice it--they understand there is a pain/discomfort curve and that it takes practice to build up to an hour a day. I enjoyed teaching it at a YMAA school in Rhode Island years ago.

That's why I think teaching a series of postures--five minutes each--is the way to go for most beginners. I practice several postures these days--anywhere from twenty to five minutes each that I learned from the book "Warriors of Stillness" and Master Henry Look's I Chuan website.

I once heard Master Yang say that he'd prefer to have all beginning Tai Chi Chuan students practice only standing for the first year. But then he wouldn't have any students!

Regards,

Bob
Bob Ellal
runestone0
Forum Contributor

Postby joeblast » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:36 am

I dont do enough standing either, Bob! :lol: But you are correct, most people...ah, it takes so much time, I cant do these things, my mind wanders, its boring...the posture changes are a good idea, I've been taught some as well, including a couple good balancing 5 element sets, moving and static.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Dvivid » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:44 am

Thanks Bob, so much for contributing on the forum!

Bob's story is detailed here:
http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org/healing/s ... cer_qigong

"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Su-jok for cancer

Postby alkssmith » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:42 pm

It's a pleasure to meet martial arts and Chi-Gong community.

For my private cancer patients I use info from:
http://acupunctureforcancerideas.blogspot.com/

There are several entries on Chi-Gong (mostly theoretical) and in particular about the muscles/tendons changing+bone marrrow washing, which I practiced having learnt the great book of Dr. Yang.

There are entries on Time Energies or chronopuncture known as Open Point technique in classic acupuncture; Su-jok version is far simpler to do!
This is applicable to any stage of cancer and can't do harm, so far you do it correctly.
Last edited by alkssmith on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alkssmith
Forum User

Postby alkssmith » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:54 pm

Embracing the Tree is great exercise pleasant to do.
I think it's very good to begin Chi-Gong practice and suitable for
seriously weakened people.
Last edited by alkssmith on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alkssmith
Forum User

Re: Standing post vs. cancer

Postby alkssmith » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:09 pm

runestone0 wrote:Hey Joe,

Thanks. But I've found that trying to get people to Embrace the Tree is very difficult. I've taught at Hartford Hospital as well as private cancer patients. They just won't do it--and I think it's the most important qigong for health. Martial artists will practice it--they understand there is a pain/discomfort curve and that it takes practice to build up to an hour a day. I enjoyed teaching it at a YMAA school in Rhode Island years ago.

Bob

There is similar situation with healing by Time Energies in Su-jok medicine: this works for every condition, but some people give up though clearly see this helps.
This may be due to destroying the deeproot habits, though it's they which caused the disease.
alkssmith
Forum User

standing post

Postby runestone0 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:49 pm

If only standing post achieved rapid weight loss--half of America would do it!
Bob Ellal
runestone0
Forum Contributor

Standing post with cancer patients

Postby runestone0 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:19 pm

One point re qigong and cancer patients: It's best not to stress the energetic paradigm--the movement of chi--up front. Most people new to energy arts are unfamiliar with it as Western medicine discredited "vitalism" a century ago.

When Rami Rones first taught me he didn't talk about chi at all, but how standing post benefits one from a Western point of view. That was wise.

Also, talk about chi and people's imagination runs wild. Every seminar I've been in some newcomer will suddenly "feel the chi" and start waxing eloquent about it. Often these people drop out because they feel they've "mastered" it. These New Agers then run to the next seminar on some topic to master that. It's the American mindset: pay for one seminar, master "it," then move on to master something else in a weekend.

Three weekends and $600 and you are ordained a Reiki "master." Can one master any discipline in a few weekends--let alone focusing the "energy of the universe?" The only thing I mastered in three weekends was learning to tie my shoes when I was five.
Bob Ellal
runestone0
Forum Contributor

Re: standing post

Postby yeniseri » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:59 pm

runestone0 wrote:If only standing post achieved rapid weight loss--half of America would do it!

Highly unlikely but only the most disciplined would even attempt post standing! The American public is to use to "Pill Solutions" that post standing will invariably be seen as a waste of time, figurativly and literally.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Standing post

Postby runestone0 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:47 pm

Yes, man, you hit it on the head! Give me a pill--then another pill to counter the side effects of the first pill.

The other thing about doing post meditation--or perhaps any meditation--is that the Western mindset is about accomplishing goals with immediately tangible results. Somehow if you're just standing or sitting you seem to be "frelling off." How could that be good for you? Americans are more inclined to do moving energy exercises: qigong, tai chi chuan, or yoga. Or a million crunches to get "six-pack" abs. I have six-pack abs--probably from draining too many six-packs!
Bob Ellal
runestone0
Forum Contributor

Previous

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung