Setting up qi flow direction

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Setting up qi flow direction

Postby DEADLI. » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:33 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some feed back from all of you out there. Does anyone think this exercise could be dangerous?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQmm1F-L4iY

Ordinarily for the majority of qigong movements and exercises, we either build qi, increase qi circulation, or remove blockages. But this exercise imposes a particular qi flow direction on the system.

I was wondering, since according to TCM 'qi is the commander of the blood', that if setting up a qi flow that is not neccessarily natural, might have negative implications.

Thanks in advance. ; )
DEADLI.
Forum Addict

Re: Setting up qi flow direction

Postby yeniseri » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:54 am

DEADLI. wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQmm1F-L4iY

Thanks in advance. ; )

DEADLI. wrote:Ordinarily for the majority of qigong movements and exercises, we either build qi, increase qi circulation, or remove blockages. But this exercise imposes a particular qi flow direction on the system.

There are so many views out there that it is almost impossible to objectively give credence to the real thing if even that was the correct view. The bottom line is that you follow the most rational based on your own input from whatever source or personality that explains it to your liking.
Usually in neigong (neiyanggong, yangshengong, shengong, etc) there are levels to attain some kind of inner nourishing health that vitalizes the spirit. Awareness of, or lack thereof is the beginning point.

basic steps
a. build 'qi'
b. nourish 'qi'
c. increase 'qi'
d. disperse 'qi'
These are akin to stages of training.

I see nothing in the link to indicate that the exercise routine imposes a particular qi flow direction so you might explain what you mean.
One cannot force blood to flow contrary to where it is supposed to go! If this happens, there is a disease process going on and the person dies, or damaged endothelium causes havoc leading to chronic illnesses and even death. As an example, someone with blocked arteries (degree and severity index) will die if no surgical intervention takes places.

DEADLI. wrote:I was wondering, since according to TCM 'qi is the commander of the blood', that if setting up a qi flow that is not neccessarily natural, might have negative implications.

Not sure what you mean by this! If in doubt, then it is better not to practice a certain method. There is nothing wrong with the system. The main problem is the baggage that it brings that is contrary, so in that sense if you find its theories less than admirable then again, perhaps a different system needs to be "followed"
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby DEADLI. » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:33 am

yeniseri wrote:I see nothing in the link to indicate that the exercise routine imposes a particular qi flow direction so you might explain what you mean.

The palms tracing over the body, causes the qi to follow. So the exercise sets up a qi flow running down the front, then up the back, and over the head.
The excercise is done three times through consecutively, and afterwards, it feels as though the qi continues to follow this pattern.
DEADLI.
Forum Addict

Postby joeblast » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:25 am

Qi may command the blood in some fashion, but it cant be literally extrapolated ad infinitum. This particular exercise seems to be a variant of the MCO - qi flows throughout the conception and governing vessels both ways all day every day, but certainly the blood doesnt follow every pathway that qi may flow!
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby yeniseri » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:30 am

DEADLI. wrote:
yeniseri wrote:I see nothing in the link to indicate that the exercise routine imposes a particular qi flow direction so you might explain what you mean.

The palms tracing over the body, causes the qi to follow. So the exercise sets up a qi flow running down the front, then up the back, and over the head.
The excercise is done three times through consecutively, and afterwards, it feels as though the qi continues to follow this pattern.

I will admit my ignorance on the matter!
Palm (neilaogong) facing the body is a tonification tool (closeness and stability) versus neilaogong facing outward/away from body, a method of 'dispersal'. My awareness is that a "synchronity effect" takes place based on closeness of palm to body, length of time remaining there or actual palm placement on body,usually dantian/qihai area where a 'warming' sensation may be felt.
It is impossible to tell the extent of benefit!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dvivid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:25 am

You guys might find this new video of interest. Lisa teaches about locating and removing blockages and restoring proper qi flow.

http://ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/qigong/h ... or-healing

"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby joeblast » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:57 pm

That looks good, thanks /\
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby yeniseri » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:06 pm

Dvivid wrote:You guys might find this new video of interest. Lisa teaches about locating and removing blockages and restoring proper qi flow.

http://ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/qigong/h ... or-healing

Perhaps I am too rational but the book appears to be excellent material.
From my experience, it is impossible to get rid of blockage(s) with qigong practice, at least the method employed by many so let me clarify.

PHYSICAL BLOCKAGE:
Qigong cannot get rid of these. This type of blockage can be seen with external equipment and it is visually apparent and has a physical reality. When these physical blockages are excised, it is only then can some type of yangshenggong practice (movement/activity) with appropriate dietary/nutritional change work to prevent it from happenning again. Cardiovascular problems/disease fits into the paradigm!

EMOTIONAL /PSYCHOLOGICAL BLOCKAGE
These are more difficult to expel due to the lack of self awareness on the part of the individual. Cognitive behavioural therapy (can even include zhanzhuang) with taijiquan, yangshenggong, etc can help at mild to moderate cases of emotional dis-ease. Applying qigong as many do will only exacerbate the problem because they help surface symptoms and do not treat the root cause of the 'blockage'. It could be nutritional and lifestyle oriented, which when left unsolved, makes the psychological blocgae even more serious so we now have 3 variables that impact health.

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
It is actually simple and ordinary but few would stoop so low to be humble!
No secret. It is secret because it is in plain site and many refuse to do it.
Xiebu in yangshengong practice help to invigorate lower jiao and may have the potential to gentlly assist middle jiao through a type of muscle pump system similat to the upper/lower contractile technology that aids lymph flow.
Stomach and uro-genital area is exercised with foot/leg coordination in execution of xiebu. It must be adapted to the health and ability of the practitioner since it is impossible for most over 60 to accomplish the extreme posture per their age!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung