Candle training and consistency

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Candle training and consistency

Postby John the Monkey mind » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:37 am

I am having trouble with aspects of my training.

When training with a candle I find that my left side has little problem making the candle to bend in the right direction with that satisfying ripping sound and extinguishing the flame. However my right side (I am right handed) has a real problem achieving this. Also when I am striking with the left in this way it feels like it has no power although the flame go's out even at around 16 inches. Do I have power on the left despite the feeling of emptiness in the force? Why is my right unable to manifest this ability with any consistency?
I can achieve reasonable consistency at about 8 inches although the right is still notably less consistent. My best strike yet was on my right but it seems to be a one off.

Sorry if this is a bit rambling, basically I want to know if my left hand has power and why my right hand is unable to transmit this energy effectively.
I try to focus my force along a line going through the candle and this helps a bit. I also feel that my practice of the 3 wars form and the white crane hard chi gong has allowed me to develop some jin but I am not yet consistent.
Consistency has always been my biggest problem, at my best I am quite competent but sometimes nothing seems to work and I look the fool lol, this is in most areas of my life including driving tests ect.

One more concern I have is that I get very tired after about 10 minutes of this training and tend to need to shower after. I am probably a bit out of shape as having spent the winter in Poland I was forced to stay in doors most of the time by the weather.

:)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby yat_chum » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:50 am

You might be tightening the muscles up more with you right arm to prevent injury. I don't think you should worry too much about it. It is just one form of training. How are you doing your candle training?

To change the subject, what version of Sam chien do you do?
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby John the Monkey mind » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:12 pm

I am coming along ok with the training but only do it once or so a week as part of my weekly training.

I do the tiger crane Sum Chien so open hands to strike (spear hand) and closed fists to break (withdrawing from the strike). Exhalation after the break, reverse abdominal breathing and a silly grin and a fair bit of tension although not in the strike. I train it 3 times a day and find it really complements Dr Yang's hard Crane Gong which I do about 3 times a week (both sets). Also it go's grate with I Liq Chuan and I have improved it internal aspect by studying I Liq Chuan.

http://i-liqchuan.com/

:)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby John the Monkey mind » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:09 pm

Almost the same as this but different, different foot work more or less and step back at the end one move later and no getting hit with bricks lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iklKt5mnwkE
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby yat_chum » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Where did you learn Tiger-Crane?
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby John the Monkey mind » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:28 am

I only studied it for half a year with FWC a London based group. I am intending to carry on training when I return to the UK in the summer bit probably with a different group as I will be living in the South. I was suffering really bad health at the time some was making poor progress lol but taking a lot in.

I was only shown the basic form and not given the internal aspect. My health is now a lot better and I have done about a years training and research on 3 wars since and am reasonably shore I am making good progress, once you understand hard Hard Qigong, jin, rooting, small universe circulation and the idea of using the breathing and other internal movement to pack the abdomen its a place to start. The tiger crane I was studying was very similar/is a type of fujian white crane.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to General Training and Practice