How often Should I do qigong?

Discuss Qigong, its ideas, theories and practice. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

How often Should I do qigong?

Postby Maestromap » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:41 pm

After excepting the fact that I would have to put off learning Taiji until I had more space I decided to learn 8 piece brocade instead. I am using these YouTube videos to learn it. I have two questions:

1.)Are these good videos? I know they are not the best but .....

2.)How often should I practice qigong?The video said 2-3 times a day but most of the things I've read say only once a day.

Thanks,
Michael
Maestromap
Forum Contributor

Postby yeniseri » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:20 am

When you have a duration of 15 minutes or less, then a good rule of thumb is 2-3x/day but it also depends on time and motivation.

A round of baduanjin encompassing yangshengong principles usually takes 25-30 minutes! What do I mean?

1. Before you start, you do a warmup of the body usually joint range of movement exercise(s) i.e. turn neck left/right, turn waist, windmill exercise, bend knees and stretch ankles (flexion/extension, ankle rotations)
2. MAIN ROUTINE: In this case baduanjin. Anything over 9 repetitions (per routine) is good
3. Shougong (Endling). hands at lower dantial (qihai), drywash face neck, etc.

Ease back into your normal routine.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:31 am

a balanced approach would probably be best - do the 15 minute sessions when time is short, but at a time of day when you have more to spare, doing the forms more slowly with greater depth of intent will do a lot to deepen the practice overall.

you can do what you have time for - something is always better than nothing - but a couple times a day will get you greater gains more quickly, especially if you do regular slower in depth sessions in addition to the shorter.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Qigong / Chi Kung