need help!!!

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

need help!!!

Postby megapotti » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:29 pm

I've just started to practise shaolin long fist kung fu by myself. There are no kung fu teams in my area so i have to use dvd:s and good tips. i was just wondering that how should i start to practise? i have done muscle training for 2 weeks and practised some shaoling long fist stances and punches but i feel that i need some kind of program for my training. can anyone give me any good tips?
megapotti
Forum Newbie

Postby nyang » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:20 pm

It's a good first step that you have started with conditioning. Don't forget to train for both speed and strength. Keep up your conditioning routine throughout your training; it is something that really never reaches an "end" point, because you will still need to maintain your body even if it isn't getting any stronger or quicker at some point. Conditioning will take longer than 2 weeks to really feel a difference, and it is essential to the eventual success of your training. Remember not to rush anything too quickly. You want to avoid injuries. You know your body best, so push its limits, but not to the point of hurting it. Know the difference between being too aggressive and pushing your limits, and between being lazy and being cautious. Let your body recover when it has been worked hard, and subsequent practices will get easier and easier. Again, it will take a minimum of a couple of months, depending on your body and training routine. Don't rush it.

It is also good that you have started into fundamental stances and hand forms. As your body gets stronger and quicker, you can start applying more intention, focus, and sense-of-enemy (i.e. don't just punch the air, think of your target), speed and power, into your movements, instead of just reviewing the forms. Don't add speed and power until you get the mechanics of the motions down first, though. Also, review some kicks, jumps, and stepping/footwork; they are all very characteristic of Long Fist.

There are many different resources to form your own training program at home. YMAA has a number of DVDs, starting from fundamental training, to sequences, and more advanced techniques, weapons, etc. There are also several other instructional DVDs, books, and published material available through other schools, publishers, etc.

When you have a solid grasp of body control and basics, you can start into sequences. Sequences are essentially just combinations of moves strung together in a continuous fashion. Lian Bu Quan and Gong Li Quan are typically amongst the first sequences you learn in any traditional Long Fist program.

Part of the key to succeeding in a "program" is consistency in your training schedule. You need to put in the time regularly to make any progress.

The difficulty in training on your own is not having an instructor/master to tell you when you are on or off track, whether you are doing some well or not so well. If you can make an occasional trip out to a seminar, workshop, or class at a school most convenient to you, it would be the best way to fine-tune your practice. Start developing that eye for detail. Most every little move has a purpose and meaning. It is also a good exercise for you to start trying to understand the art, its origins and root, its feeling, and it will consequently help you develop your practice deeper and deeper. In the preliminary stages of your training, you should focus simply on coordination of your body and mind, making sure all the parts of your body move coherently and harmoniously. Having a full-length mirror is invaluable. I tell my students this a lot, "Make sure you're doing what you think you're doing."

Good luck!
Nicholas C. Yang
President, YMAA International
Assistant Director, YMAA Retreat Center
http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org
nyang
Admin

Postby megapotti » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:36 am

Thank you very much! that was the tip i needed. thank you!

ps:i have a full lenght mirron, and i have to say that my eye is very sharp for details of movements:)
megapotti
Forum Newbie

one question more.

Postby megapotti » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:57 am

i have been training my biceps, triceps and shoulder muscles, is it ok?
some people say that weight training makes your hand movements slower, is it true then?

ps: i of course train my whole body, but my question is pointed for hand muscle training.
megapotti
Forum Newbie

Postby yat_chum » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:07 am

I personally I'm not a great fan of weight training preferring functional exercises that use natural movement and my own body weight but it is ok to use weights to supplement your martial arts training, you need to keep away from the heavy weight low reps type of training as they just produce muscle bulk which can slow and restrict muscle movement.
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby yat_chum » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:10 am

yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

Postby yat_chum » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:30 am

As well as weight training have you considered weapons training?

http://www.taomartialarts.com/crn/crn_tools.html
yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

Postby megapotti » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:45 am

hmm, interesting! thank you very much. that really helped me.
megapotti
Forum Newbie

ehm

Postby megapotti » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:14 am

ehm! i've been seeking websites for functional strenght excercises that benefits long fist and wing chun, but i havent found any useful. Does anyone know any good functional strenght excercises for these martial arts?

especially those kind of excercises that need no equipment, because i dont own any weight stuff. and because my house is pretty small
megapotti
Forum Newbie

Postby yat_chum » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:06 am

How about

Hindu squat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPSVpo4mzNI
The Shrimp Beginner & Intermidiate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpgn6eRtsdw
Hindu push up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcW61Bb8uOo
Clapping push ups
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyPl0EnsM7U