Homemade Wing Chun Dummy

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Homemade Wing Chun Dummy

Postby green_thaddeus » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:48 am

So it may be crazy, but for some reason I've decided that I must have a Wing Chun dummy of my own. Main problem (besides the fact that I don't practice Wing Chun) is that I don't have 600 bucks or so to drop on one. My solution: make my own!
I've done some browsing online, and decided that for now at least, I'd like to make the body of PVC and the arms/leg wooden. Seen some plans here and there online, but nothing that really peaked my interest. So, as usual when I have questions about my home training, I come here.
Anyone out there have a home-made practice dummy, or something like that? Let me know what you did, I would love to know!

(also, I recently started taking Tae Kwon Do, not my first choice, but it's that or a really basic karate here... :(...anyways, one of the instructors has apparantly taken some Wing Chun, not sure how much, but I'm sure he could help me begin, so it's not entirely pointless!)
green_thaddeus
Forum Contributor

Postby yat_chum » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:07 am

One to my Wing Chun instructors made a Dummy, however the arms weren't quite at the right angle making it awkward to use. I have considered making a dummy several times. However I can't work out how to modify the dummy so that it is more suitable for White Crane.
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby green_thaddeus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:18 pm

I'm really not that familiar with White Crane, so I couldn't tell you what adaptations you might have to make, but I have seen alot of variations online. Also, I've known people to use a traditional wing chun dummy even for use in Tae Kwon Do. I think overall the trick is to know what aspects of your style could benifit from that type of training. Personally, I would like one just to make me think. I manage to come up with rather interesting combinations etc. just working the heavy bag in my garage, so...I think you can see where I'm heading. Anyways, I'm going to do some more browsing tonight, and if I see some good sites I'll be sure to post the address.
green_thaddeus
Forum Contributor

Postby Onlyino » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:28 am

I have been doing some research myself on this same subject.

Here are a few good links to how to build, I would not recomend using PVC.....

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/a ... rticle=677

http://www.wckfc.com/news/dummy/index.htm

http://www.tigerclawfoundation.org/imag ... _plans.pdf

It is a process, but in my opinion, something that will be well worth the effort once completed.
Death is guaranteed, life is not..... so live!
Onlyino
Forum User

Postby John the Monkey mind » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:59 am

I made one from wood taken after garden trees were cut down. Worked really well. Took a few days to make and some power tools, very ruff and ready but did the job. WC dummy seems ok for crane hands as short range style. :)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby John the Monkey mind » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:07 am

Sorry old photo
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to General Training and Practice