Training in Different Seasons

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Training in Different Seasons

Postby fullofvoid » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:03 pm

I practice taiji 太極拳regularly, and also do qigong氣功. However, the seasons change at times when I feel I am really developing. I am curious what effects training outside during winter, when temperatures drop to forties and below. Should I find a different way to practice, and is there a desirable temperature for practicing?
fullofvoid
Forum Newbie

Postby Dvivid » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:01 pm

Learn about the Ha and Hen sounds - search those on this forum.

The short answer is that you need only to adapt your breathing slightly for the change of seasons, and it can be helpful to include a couple exercises specific to the season to adapt to the change and avoid getting sick.

In Spring and Summer, you want cooler breathing and longer inhalation.

In Fall and Winter, you want warmer breathing, and longer exhalation.

I highly recommend:
http://www.ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/qigo ... igong_DVD4
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Zhou He » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:39 am

I asked Wudang Daoist Zhou Xuan Yun a similar question.

Here is his answer

Xuan Yun says it's important to be scientific about your practice. He says for winter you have to be careful to not let the cold invade your body while practicing standing meditation outside. He says you should find a sunny place, and practice during the warmer parts of the day. He also says if you are limited to practicing before the sun is up, or after it goes down, you should practice inside. If you feel cold, he recommends bundling up until you feel comfortable again. There are qigong practices that teach you to raise or lower your body temperature, but they take years of practice, and are usually used for emergency situations only (or for showing off) since they waste a lot of vital energy.

Check out Daoist Gate and buy Xuan Yun new DVD! Im expecting mine in the mail anytime soon ^^
Zhou He
Forum Newbie

Postby fullofvoid » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:01 pm

Thank you both for you advice--it is as I presumed. Though I will probably limit my time outside for practice and stick with moving and standing meditation rather than sitting.

I suppose I shamefully looked for a secret technique or something due to a wont to practice discreetly. Perhaps practicing outside during more sunlight will both earn the leers of my colleagues here at college, and teach me more humility--as if practicing traditional martial arts amongst ignorance isn't already sufficiently mortifying at times.
fullofvoid
Forum Newbie

Postby yeniseri » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:06 pm

There is a monograph of sitting and standing exercises that specifies which are good routines for which season and time of year!
Taijizhuang and zhanzhuang are good for winter while in conjunction with taijiquan levels fo practice.

There are some yangshengong taijiquan practitioners who say that practiceing taiji in spring is good for invigorating the liver, in summer for nourishing the heart, in winter for nourishng/invigorating 'gu' (bones/tendon) and in fall, it is good for the lung!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to General Training and Practice