Saber DVD/3&4 White Crane DVD's

Discuss YMAA Publishing's books, videos and DVDs. Have you read/seen an YMAA Publishing work? Share your thoughts, discuss its ideas. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: Dvivid, DavidR

Saber DVD/3&4 White Crane DVD's

Postby DOM » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:11 am

I was told the Saber dvd and the 4th crane video has been taped?Is there a date on there release?and will the third and fourth Crane Videos be put on dvd.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dvivid » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:21 pm

Hi

Qi Xing and Bagua Dao will be out on DVD -Dec 07.

White Crane Gongfu 3 & 4 will out in 2008, sorry for delay in answering
Last edited by Dvivid on Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Inga » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:17 pm

a-n-t-i-c-i-p-a-t-i-o-n .... is making me wait......
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby Inga » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:49 am

Sergey, I was referring to waiting for the publication, not indicating I was waiting for a reply.

"...if nobody will write than i can write only myself"

This is a forum for students of Master Yang. We practice gongfu, qigong, tai chi and other maritial arts styles and related disciplines. We welcome students of other schools and branches of martial arts to keep our conversations fresh, informed and interesting. Training hard can be mentally exhausting as well as physically so. It is important for us to have a place we can get recharged if we need inspiration, or share ideas if our spirit is high. This is a community. As far as I am concerned you are welcome here, you have your opinion, and you are welcome to join the discussion. But posting with four accounts I think is not fair Sergey. Some threads have you talking to yourself, using all these accounts. I requested recently when you were using 3 accounts to please use just one, and your response to this was to begin to use a 4th account. The fact that this account is a swear word in German (yes, it is missing one 's' but the message is clear) makes me feel your answer to me was not positive, but threatening. And this is a place where I do not want to feel bullied Sergey, I want to enjoy coming here. Lately I have felt that your behaviour here is mocking us, and because I love and respect Master Yang it is beginning to make me very cross. I would ask you again, and I mean this with respect, please limit yourself to one account, one voice. Please post with care and keep on topic, so we can all participate in the conversation. Regards, Inga
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby darth_freak » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:46 am

so open a psychological topic on the general chat part of the forum. Don't flood on topics where people might expect some real informations on the topic. So as said on the forum homepage: STAY ON TOPIC.
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby darth_freak » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:49 pm

about the white crane DVD: i've just been told that the San He form had been deprived of the lower part of it; 7 repetitions of the same patterns? Why is it so? I was so eager to see it. I've seen Aaron do that thing with his wrists but I never got it and I so thought I'd get that in the DVD... I'm upset :( :( :(
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dvivid » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:15 am

Darth

Please elaborate - Im not quite sure what you're saying. Do you have the DVD?

Master Yang is releasing his white crane kung fu very carefully on DVD, in a way that beginners can train safely without injury, especially pertaining to the joints during the various jins...this may account for the wrist technique you're referring to?

If you have a specific question about the contents, we can forward it to Master Yang.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby darth_freak » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:41 pm

well the San He form in the DVD (It's been shown to me) is not the same as Aaron demonstrated in the SUmmer Camps Demos. It only shows 7 times the same set of moves whereas there're 3 sets of moves in San He as Aaron "demoed" it. ...like there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIFxvtso9Z8
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dvivid » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:04 am

Answer:

The 2nd and 3rd parts of the San He form are never taught until advanced students begin to grasp the correct concepts and correct feelings of the White Crane Jin Patterns. Master Yang is teaching in the same fashion he learned, so parts 2 and 3 will be released at a later time in a future DVD, and of course they are taught to YMAA students when Master Yang feels they are ready to learn more. Also, for a beginner learning any form, it is easier to learn when there is a more focused emphasis on learning just a few moves, instead of 3 times as many moves.

There is no "official" standard to the San He form including all 3 parts. Most White Crane sequences that Master Yang learned are very short. Some of the "longer" ones are actually compiled together from a few different forms (i.e. Bai He sequence).

The sequence Aaron performed in the You Tube video was an arbitrary decision of 2 forward 1st part, 2 backward 2nd part, 2 forward 3rd part, 2 backward 1st part, and finish. White Crane forms are supposed to be repetitious and seemingly uninteresting. (Most White Crane and Southern forms are, compared to Long Fist and modern Wushu).

White Crane gongfu is exceptionally hard to get correct, and even more so by learning through a DVD. That DVD is four hours long (!) and includes all the related training that the beginning student needs to grasp the jin patterns in the first part of the San He form. To include the information about parts 2 and 3 in the correct detail, would take more time, which is technically impossible. Most DVDs are 1 hour long. We are already including much more than that on each program we publish.

In other words - train the white crane qigong and jins to a highly refined level to prepare for the advanced white crane teaching, which Master Yang will release when he's ready to.

I don't question what Master Yang chooses to release.

Quality, not quantity.

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Dvivid » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:38 pm

I asked this question of Master Yang, and here is his reply:

"The one shown on DVD is a typical short form. Normally, a White Crane form is short so the student can focus on a few movements until he is good at the Jin.

The one shown by Aaron is a new version in which I added some movements from other advanced sequences, such as Chuan Zhen (Threading Needles) and Gong He (Arcing Crane).

Those advanced sequences will be demonstrated by the 10-year program students."

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby darth_freak » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:01 am

Ok. Now I get it.

Thanks Dvivid :)
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to YMAA Publishing