New to Martial Arts

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

New to Martial Arts

Postby otheophilus » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:42 pm

Hello all, been trolling here for a couple of weeks and I decided now was a good time to jump in. Male, 35, Oklahoma City area, No martial arts exp.

I've been looking around at the various styles and offerings both around town and on the net and this seems to be the the best thing for me in terms of my character and current ability. Goals I hope to achieve are loosing weight, better health (mentally and physically) and better control and awareness of my body and the environment around me.

I believe that all 3 styles incorporated here can help me achieve my goals but I lack a starting point. I'm hoping somebody can help me with some direction on how to move forward. So, I am not familiar with any schools in my area so I am assuming that I need to learn by books/dvds.

This brings me to my first questions: (1) what book(s)/dvd(s) are recommended as the very starting point of my journey, and (2) How many hours of practice (a guess?) will be need before I move to the next step of my journey?

Thank you in advance for any help.
otheophilus
Just Arrived

Postby darth_freak » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:55 pm

start with taiji dvd and the taiji qigong and stance work with it. It will give you foundation for long fist and white crane basics dvds.
The qigong should teach you how to relax and the stances drills should teach you how to move, shift your weight etc. in a progressive manner. Then when you got a good feeling you can go for long fist.

Also if you got a youtube acocunt you could post your vidz and send a link here and some of us could give advice.

Regarding time we can't really tell. It will depends how good you progress. And when you progress you feel it so you know when to step up. Just don't be too "greedy". Though tis easier to say than to do.
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dvivid » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:13 am

Hi

Start with an hour a day and just stick with it. No excuses.

This thread gives the order in which you may use the books and videos to guide your home training:

http://www.ymaa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1307

Find a teacher if possible in your area, or come to seminars and check your forms.

Enjoy.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

forming a training schedule

Postby seeker279 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:51 am

Hey everyone! I'm 19 and very enthusiastic about kung fu. Trouble is when i train, other obligations in my life like family, school, and work interfere with my training time. Usually i barely get through stretching and begin training individual techniques and then I have to stop because of something my parents need me to do or an appointment. Admittedly i have a very sporadic training schedule. I have a copy of Dr. Yang's Longfist book and the Longfist Fundamental Training and Basic Sequences DVDs and they are all i have in the way of learning material since no YMAA schools are anywhere close to where I live. I was hoping that some of you with more experience could give me a few pointers. Please write back and I'll be glad to hear from you!
Within the Tao, All Things are Possible.
seeker279
Forum Newbie

Postby John the Monkey mind » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:23 pm

Get up early and do 20 minutes basics, then when you can train more as you usually would. The 20 minutes just forms the foundation. I don't stretch every time I'm doing any practice but first thing would be good. Some days you will find you only do 20 minutes and other days it may be many hours, the main thing is to practice every day even if just a little.

Your book and dvd's are fine. The fundamental training dvd is very good. Basic sequences are only worth learning once you can do the rest well. Sounds like you have all you need to start.

Do take some classes in a martial art style even if just karate for basics.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Inga » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:47 pm

Hello Seeker,

Keep your interest and motivation and you'll be able to progress. Kung fu means of course time and effort, you have the desire to put in effort, which is half the battle, finding time can often be easier than you think.

John's suggestion of rising earlier is a good one. If kung fu is your priority, it can take the place of television time or computer time. You could attempt to set a time which is a commitment, just like your work shift or getting to academic class on time, think of it as your kung fu class time, only you have the book/dvd for your instructor. Try and stick to that time and make it a habit. Is there a gym/open area at your school where you can practice? That would be away from people interrupting you..in fact you might meet someone who is also training martial arts if they see you practicing. Finding a training partner is good motivation too. Plus later you will have two person material.

Work on your foundation, make your body strong, use low stances, develop good form. If all you do on some days is stretch that's useful. If you do find you are watching tv, get into ma bu during the commercials. Get low. Line up your knees above your toes (long fist - crane tucks knees in) and try and get your thighs parallel to the ground. If you can't do it, try the best you can and repeat, over and over, eventually it will improve. Next set of commercials do push ups. Place your hands under your shoulders, elbows in to work the muscle groups you need for kung fu (http://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Push-Up - like in picture 5). Sit ups, leg raises, dips, fingertip push ups..there is much you can do in 5- 10 minutes that helps strengthen your core and your limbs. When you eventually find you do have more time (your work/study schedule changes or you move away from home) you will be in a good position to make faster progress. Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress. There are many knowledgeable people on here, check out the rest of the YMAA site for information that might help you as well.

Cheers Inga
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Return to General Training and Practice