Saber DVD?

Discuss YMAA Publishing's books, videos and DVDs. Have you read/seen an YMAA Publishing work? Share your thoughts, discuss its ideas. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: Dvivid, DavidR

Saber DVD?

Postby scramasax57 » Mon May 15, 2006 8:42 pm

dvivid, as you might remember i was one of the students who performed in the saber DVD taping last year. at the time you said it might be out this spring. is that still true, or should i remain patient? i'm in no great rush, as i'm sure i'll look at my performance and cringe, but i am kind of curious.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby Dvivid » Wed May 17, 2006 10:16 am

Hi,

No, other titles have taken priority, like Dr Yang's qigong lectures. The Shaolin Saber stuff (Xi Xing Dao and Bagua Dao) have been bumped - hopefully to next year.

No, you were good! That's why Master Y chose you for it. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

thanks,
D
Last edited by Dvivid on Wed May 24, 2006 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby scramasax57 » Wed May 17, 2006 1:37 pm

thanks for the quick reply. guess i'll just keep my eyes open for the future. i have to say, that was one of the most fun days i ever had.
n. andover, ma branch

scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby Inga » Wed May 17, 2006 3:23 pm

david, i've seen that the DVDs released so far this year and the next three due for 2006 are all tai chi / qigong. are there more shaolin kung fu titles on the horizon like the sabre? any chance of staff? cheers inga
Inga
Admin

Postby DOM » Tue May 23, 2006 1:21 pm

scam I thought saber was for those at fourth strip?and if so how did you learn it and get on the dvd at second strip?
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby scramasax57 » Tue May 23, 2006 2:21 pm

i learned the basics first in a seminar with master yang, and then the form in another. my friend and training partner seth putnam and i practiced the basics almost constantly, checking each other on the solo drills and doing the two person matching drills and free exchanges of techniques (like a controlled form of weapons sparring). when master yang came back he saw that we had practiced and improved a lot, and i guess he decided our skills were good enough to put on the dvd. it was a great honor and a privilege. in my experience the order of training in the ymaa curriculum has a certain degree of flexibility to it, and so if you show an earnest desire to learn and the dedication to practice, people will offer to teach you things either higher in the curriculum or outside of it. this is also how i learned xingyi and bien dan fa. seminars are also a good way to learn(this is how i learned saber and sword), but the key is practicing what you learn and improving it. when anyone teaches a seminar, like master yang or tai ngo, they always make it clear that the seminar can only give you the superficial aspects and a glimpse of the inner meanings. so if you go to seminars and then practice what you learn and make it better, people will teach you more. that's been my experience.
n. andover, ma branch

scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby DOM » Wed May 24, 2006 7:38 am

thanks scram,I was asking becouse there are things I would love to learn like shaolin saber,but will never be able to if I have to follow the ranking system and the in which order it is layed out.Not that I disagree with it at all.I am just past the age were I will be able to persue the intire system the way it is layed out.I would love to attend a shaolin seminar and would,but as far as I know there isn't any.Were are these seminars on longfist?
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby DOM » Wed May 24, 2006 7:41 am

p.s what is bien da fa?
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dvivid » Wed May 24, 2006 9:31 am

Hello all,

I can't yet say what the 2007 DVDs will be, but, yes, I know this has been the year of Tai Chi/Qigong DVDs. I'll let you guys know here first, as soon as we're able to nail down the release schedule. Thank you
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby scramasax57 » Wed May 24, 2006 11:21 am

they were seminars at the andover/north andover branch, focussing on basics and then qi xing dao for saber and basics and then san cai jian for sword. as far as i'm aware there aren't any seminars on longfist barehand, because that is the primary course of study for beginning ymaa students and the seminars are (i believe) mainly intended to augment the training of students already in the ymaa system. unfortunately weapons seminars are over at andover, and we're now on the second qin na seminar. try checking the list of seminars on this website to see if anyone else is offering them. i'm not sure, but i seem to remember that you used to train in ymaa or at ymaa seminars, but you don't anymore? if you still have contacts in ymaa who know saber (or anything else) and ask them to teach you, they can request permission to do so from master yang. it is necessary for them to ask permission if you're outside the system. and of course you can always try to find a book or video with what you want to learn in it and then ask a ymaa student to correct it. good luck with your training!

edit: bien dan fa is a white crane staff sequence. it starts out the same as chi mei gunn, and then goes on to be much longer. it involves much more waist power. i'm not sure if itis in the curriculum or not, but it's basically the more advanced white crane staff sequence. there's a video of bruce crawford, who is the one who taught it to me, performing this sequence in the media section of this website.
n. andover, ma branch

scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby DOM » Wed May 24, 2006 3:38 pm

I still train ymaa material and go to seminars in fact I will be there for crane and hopfully push hands.Are these seminars at the Andove Ymaa branch open to those out side the andover school?
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby scramasax57 » Wed May 24, 2006 9:25 pm

most definitely. there are mostly andover students, but also students from boston and people that don't train YMAA anymore or never trained. it'd be great to have an experienced guy like you around. we're in the middle of a chin na seminar right now. not sure when the next one starts, or what the deal is with joining halfway through. try checking the andover site http://www.yangsandover.com or calling them at 978 475 2020.
n. andover, ma branch

scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby DOM » Thu May 25, 2006 2:03 pm

hey thanks,I mite just do that next time they do sword training or some thing else.Is it usally set up like those at Boston all weekend long/if so I would definatly be interested.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby scramasax57 » Thu May 25, 2006 3:09 pm

it's actually set up quite different. we do one class a week (tuesdays, usually) for 12 to 14 weeks. it's nice because it gives you plenty of time to practice between sessions, but on the other hand it can make it hard for visitors to attend. i'm not sure what the policy is for attending part of the seminar, you'll have to ask mr. alex kiesel.
n. andover, ma branch

scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby darth_freak » Mon May 29, 2006 8:33 am

on that dvd, will there only be qi xing dao and bagua dao, or will there also be the saber basics to practice with a partner like we do with swords?
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby scramasax57 » Mon May 29, 2006 1:39 pm

there will be basics and two person basic drills, from what i remember of the taping. that's actually all i remember performing; i don't think i had to do qi xing dao. so yes, there will be lots of drills.
n. andover, ma branch

scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby Dvivid » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:00 pm

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Inga » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:56 pm

Cheers I did indeed ask about that. Any news on the sabre vid tho? Yea, you knew I was going to ask, didn't you? Right well off to wield my credit card. Hopefully it won't snap in the process :)
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby Dvivid » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:00 am

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Inga » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:41 pm

sweet! cheers :)
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Next

Return to YMAA Publishing