How big is yours? (Training programme)

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

How big is yours? (Training programme)

Postby CraneTiger » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:59 pm

Hi, just wondering how long everyone trains everday.
You see im very bad at home practice :x and am trying to get a bit of motivation.
Thanks.
CraneTiger
Forum User

Postby Inga » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:52 pm

haha, doesn't matter what we say, YOU will have to want to do it and keep it going to make it happen. not us. just imagine that someone in future will post the questions here:

"how much do you train at home during the week? everyday? how long?"

and what kind of answer, honest answer, you would like to give...
Inga
Admin

Postby zipwolf » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:54 pm

Max training days per week: 5. Two rest days otherwise you're liable to screw yourself up. People underestimate rest, REST!

Ok, that rant over.

Sort out your days into what you want to emphasize each day. You need to do resistance exercise (Calisthenics/bodyweight, traditional freeweights, whatever your choice) as a part of your training, but if you want to do a LOT of KF drills, then you need to do a max of 2-3 days resistance training a week. Spend your KF training time on other days doing drills like punches, kicks, footwork etc. Work at high intensity to raise heart rate for the most part, you can work on getting better form at slower speed in class for the most part, but at home you wan't to keep your physical fitness and endurance a major part of your KF game.

If you can get a partner to come work out with you both on resistance and on drills, all the better. Working with someone can help you improve lots and lots and BOOYAH.

Treat KF like a sport, because in essence, thats what it is. You may say "I'M WELL DEADLY! ITS NOT A SPORT!" but thats just not true. Every physical activity that requires/builds speed and strength is a sport. Rant over there again.

If you can keep LOW stance training as part of your resistance workouts, it would be better. Doing a longstanding isometric won't help you any if you do squats next day, or vice versa. Better to do a set of squats followed by a set of a low stance, or the other way around.

Organisation is your major key here though. If you just wing it and think "Oooh... i might train tonight", you probably won't. Set up days for resistance, days for high intensity fast drills (or jogging if you don't feel like it, or don't have time, or don't have a partner: But drills are better for skillbuilding). Get a kind of log going. It helps to track your progress, and then give you goals to continue onto.

Thats pretty much (in a very awkwardly put way) what i do, except i do a lot of isolation exercises currently for a very specific purpose, and keep my KF drills to two days.

OOH! Also, stretch twice daily, about a minute per stretch, one time each, five days a week.

Lastly, resistance workouts, MAX of an hour for a regular day. KF training, an hour to two hours, vary the intensity if you get tired.
zipwolf
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby CraneTiger » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:54 am

Thanks y`all for your advice, it has helped, along with this vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzYIgZWf ... ed&search=

Chris
CraneTiger
Forum User

Postby Inga » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:47 pm

hey chris, nice vid..aye, jet li has succeeded. it sounds like you are feeling your routine is getting somewhere where you want it to be. i hope you did not think i was being cheeky with my initial response, i was not being dismissive of your needs, just trying to give advice which has worked for me. i have been inspired by many things, but i find that only desires that come from within really have staying power. you were right to post here for moral support..i tried to do the same myself recently with my speed/reaction drills. best wishes with your training, and enjoy the forum, there is some excellent material on here and some very knowledgable people - erm, not me :) and some keen people, ah, yes that would be me. it's a great place to learn. cheers, inga
Inga
Admin

Postby CraneTiger » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:59 am

I am now pleased with my training :D . I do 1 and a half hours in the mourning, then 1 and a half in the afternoon, and finally 1 and a half in the evening. Its such good fun!
CraneTiger
Forum User

Postby Inga » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:24 pm

my word! that's a pretty huge upgrade! you train 4 1/2 hours everyday? do you do a mix of things? just practice your kung fu or do you use any plyometrics, speed/endurance training, lifting, etc.
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby WCkungfu » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:13 pm

Hey Inga im tigercrane but i forgot my password or something so this is my new profile.

In my practice time I just do kung fu, I find that the best way to achieve this is to make yourself a grueling program and stick to it, everything is ok.I spend about half an hour at the start of almost every session warming up and then doing: stretching, dynamic and undynamic stretching and kicks.
For the next hour I work on Hand techniques, stance and forms. In the last five minites I do horse stance :cry: , iron bridge, situps and squats, ending with a bit of meditation.

It is alot and im thinking of cutting out an hour, to make my life easier.
WCkungfu
Forum Newbie

Postby vamos » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:26 pm

if your YI is strong you wont have a problem to train.... :wink:
vamos
Forum Contributor

Postby Ralteria » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:26 pm

hahah, in a perfect world....

if your YI is strong you wont have a problem to train....

I finally switched employment (from sales back to a laboring job yaaaay!) and have been so completely tuckered out for the past two weeks, finding the energy to train just about anything has been a labor in and of itself.

On the upside it's compensated for my lack of resistance training. I can now lift and hoist a leather swivel chair above my head. Working for a furniture company really helps build your core strength :D . I'm slowling integrating everything back in though.

But a word to the wise...it's not wise to push your training too hard. I was all set to train last week when I got home from work but... barely being able to lift my arms above my head without much pain made me decide against it. Me thinks that was the smart move.
Caution...Wisdom may cause bruising.
Ralteria
Forum Addict

Postby Ralteria » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:43 pm

Body 95% adjusted...

back to 1hr to 1hr 30 min. Every day. back to basics addition:

Sitting Meditation
Stretching and Warmups
Standing Meditiation
Taiji Qigong Primary Set

Funny enough my son has started getting up with me at 5 in the morning so he can train with me. Nothing like a 9 year old with drive ;). First time he's really shown any interest.
Caution...Wisdom may cause bruising.
Ralteria
Forum Addict

Postby Josh Young » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:30 pm

I train to some degree every day.

However I train much harder 3-4 times a week for about 4 hours a session.

This is only my physical training.
I also do reading and writing related study 3-4 times a week for several hours a day as well.

Then there is spiritual training, this I do every day.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Return to General Training and Practice