Difference between Tai Chi presentations?

Discuss YMAA Publishing's books, videos and DVDs. Have you read/seen an YMAA Publishing work? Share your thoughts, discuss its ideas. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: Dvivid, DavidR

Difference between Tai Chi presentations?

Postby pilotfish » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:25 pm

Hi. I am interested in learning Tai Chi, and despite the great many introductions to it, I keep coming back to Dr. Yang and YMAA.

YMAA offers two introductions to Yang style Tai Chi: Yang Tai Chi for Beginners (DVD), and Tai Chi Chuan: Classical Yang Style (book and DVD). Questions:

What are the differences between the two?
What are the most important strong points of each?
Does the DVD or the book for the second one above need the other?

Background: I am almost done with the basic long fist DVD and practice Eight Pieces of Brocade regularly. In the Tai Chi buying guide, I would fall into the category of "an intellectually-inclined beginner" (but I don't see "The Root of Taijiquan" except as a two page article).

Any insights will be appreciated.
pilotfish
Forum Contributor

Re: Difference between Tai Chi presentations?

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:06 am

Get the Tai Chi: Yang Tai Chi for Beginners (DVD). The Tai Chi Chuan: Classical Yang Style DVD is more of a demonstration than instructional. The book Classical Yang Style would be worth getting to go with the Tai Chi for Beginners DVD as it is the same form and gives the theory you need to progress and is a easy way to remind yourself of the sequence if you forget what comes next.

The version of the Taiji form shown in the Book and DVD Tai Chi Chuan: Classical Yang Style is a bit dated and has been superseded by the Yang Tai Chi for Beginners DVD. However the Classical Yang Style DVD has the Fa jin demonstration so is still useful for more advanced practice. As a person new to Taiji you do not need to worry about that.

My recommendation is then the Tai Chi: Yang Tai Chi for Beginners (DVD) with Tai Chi Chuan: Classical Yang Style (book).
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby pilotfish » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks, John. That's the kind of answer I was looking for.

Anyone else, don't let John's coverage keep you from giving your different perspective.
pilotfish
Forum Contributor

Postby Dvivid » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:15 pm

Also, have a look at this Tai Chi guide:
http://ymaa.com/publishing/start-here/tai-chi-chuan
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to YMAA Publishing