Wudang Taijiquan DVD

Discuss YMAA Publishing's books, videos and DVDs. Have you read/seen an YMAA Publishing work? Share your thoughts, discuss its ideas. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: Dvivid, DavidR

Wudang Taijiquan DVD

Postby buddhafist » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:51 am

Hi, I recently bought the Wudang Fundamental Training, which is actually very good...and now I´m considering to buy also the Wudang Taiji DVD.

My main concern is: will the applications be of use for me?

I learned a 108 form of the Tung Style, which I think is actually very similar to Dr. Yangs Form (maybe they all are similar, but for me some fog is lifting now) - so, what about the Wudang 108?
I don´t want to necessarily learn the form now, but use the applications for the form that I already learned. Do you guys think it will be of help?
buddhafist
Forum User

Re: Wudang Taijiquan DVD

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:54 pm

I have the DVD and I think you could take a few of the applications and practice them with the Yang 108 I do (Dr Yang's). The Wudang form is similar in some ways and some of the applications will be very much variations of a theme. So I would say you will be able to take something from the disk. It like the Wudang kung fu disk goes into the form and applications in a clear manner. Still like with anything you would have to practice. :) I am still learning the applications for the 108 and so will be busy with that for some time to come but I think it is an interesting idea to look at another Taiji form and its applications for a new perspective. All this is just my amateur opinion.

Dvivid should be able to tell you more as he put the thing together (I think). :)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Re: Wudang Taijiquan DVD

Postby Dvivid » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:35 am

The forms are slightly different, but the principles of the movements and the applications are universal. So, for each form, from each lineage, you should be able to find applications you can use with your own variation of the form.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to YMAA Publishing