Baguazhang book and dvd deviations

Discuss YMAA Publishing's books, videos and DVDs. Have you read/seen an YMAA Publishing work? Share your thoughts, discuss its ideas. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: Dvivid, DavidR

Baguazhang book and dvd deviations

Postby lintelmanr » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:24 pm

I just purchased the Baguazhang instructional DVD and I have noticed some deviations from the qigong forms shown in the book. #5 The Spiral and Rotate Posture, the DVD seems to be skipping the 4th step the book shows and as well as an additional turn.

The biggest deviation however is #6 Twist Turning Posture. In the book it is shown that when turning to the left the left arm twists up, the right moves down and visa verse for the other side. In the DVD though the arm positions are switched and the rear foot's heal is lifted. After switching between these the form in the book and the one on the DVD I've determined the on shown in the book feels more correct and leads easily to the bore and turn posture(or arcing and swinging walking). When trying to transition to another posture or form from the one shown on DVD you would have to take an extra step and change the arm positions.

Perhaps I am not grasping the use of this deviation. If anyone has noticed these deviations or has an idea of how it can help differently with either qigong or an additional transition please reply!!
lintelmanr
Forum Newbie

Your Question

Postby Adison » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:10 am

Hello,

Thank you for your post. I'm not sure where the deviation is that your noticing in The Spiral and Rotate Posture. Though I admit, it can seem a little confusing to find the connection for that exercise via the book, it is there. That's why it's nice to have the DVD as a companion :)

Its great that you observed the variation in The Twist Turning Posture. Both are acceptable and serve different purposes that I will not go into via this thread. I urge you to continue practicing both as long as your not experiencing any strain in the knees. Practice the one on the DVD for no more than 3 to 6 repetitions until you can truly find the correct alignment (Which takes time!).

But honestly, as with most martial arts (and definitely Qigong) especially advanced ones like Bagua, its always better to find a qualified instructor. Whether that be to attend a class or a seminar. If there is not a teacher in your area we can always make arrangements for an instructor to come out your way and host a seminar.

Best,

Adison Martin
YMAA Headquarters
Baguazhang Instructor
"In a world where death is the hunter, my friend, there is not time for regrets or doubts. There is only time for decisions."
Adison
Forum User

Postby lintelmanr » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll continue practicing both ways. It would be nice to have an instructor for Baguazhang where I live(Alaska). I wish we had a YMAA branch up here, that would be even better. There would be plenty of people who would show up. We don't have a lot of Chinese martial arts schools up here, and the ones we do have are questionable. I've always wanted to visit the YMAA Headquarters but can't afford it. Someday though. Thanks again!
lintelmanr
Forum Newbie

Return to YMAA Publishing