YMAA T'ai Chi DVD Questions

Discuss YMAA Publishing's books, videos and DVDs. Have you read/seen an YMAA Publishing work? Share your thoughts, discuss its ideas. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: Dvivid, DavidR

YMAA T'ai Chi DVD Questions

Postby fit155 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:57 pm

I've been practicing Qigong for some time now and would like to incorporate T'ai Chi into my practice.

I have a few questions about some of the DVDs offered on the YMAA web site...

First, I see the Taijiquan Classical Yang Style (long form Tai Chi Chuan) DVD on the site. Do you need a partner for this? I was watching the preview and in some scenes it looks like you do.

Second, it looks like there *isn't* a Yang Style short form DVD taught by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming, true?

Lastly, the description for Simplified Tai Chi Chuan with Applications DVD (by Grandmaster Liang, Shou-Yu) talks about two forms, the "simplified" 24-posture form and the complete 48-posture form. Are both in the Yang style/tradition.

Thanks.
fit155
Forum Addict

Postby DavidR » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi fit155

I see the Taijiquan Classical Yang Style (long form Tai Chi Chuan) DVD on the site. Do you need a partner for this? I was watching the preview and in some scenes it looks like you do.

No partner is needed for the solo form.

it looks like there *isn't* a Yang Style short form DVD taught by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming, true?

True. There is no short form from Dr. Yang.

the "simplified" 24-posture form and the complete 48-posture form. Are both in the Yang style/tradition.

The 24 posture form consists of 20 movements from the Yang style. This form was created by the Chinese Sports Commission in 1956.

The 48 posture form is primarily created by movements of the Yang style, but also has movements from the Chen, Wu, and Sun styles. In performing this form, there are parts where the pace quickens.

Hope this helps.
David Ripianzi
Publisher
YMAA Publication Center
DavidR
Forum Contributor

Return to YMAA Publishing