The YMAA Publishing Online Library

Discuss YMAA Publishing's books, videos and DVDs. Have you read/seen an YMAA Publishing work? Share your thoughts, discuss its ideas. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: Dvivid, DavidR

The YMAA Publishing Online Library

Postby stephenbuck415 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:10 pm

Hi David.

I was wondering when YMAA Publishing will be releasing the online version of its books.

For myself, purchasing books is an expensive chore and they never last more than a few years. This is truer today because it's so much easier to release new updated versions.

My preference is to subscribe to online libraries that provide 24/7 access to the material. For example, as a Java programmer I could easily spend $50 or more per book each month to stay current with new technologies. One publisher, WROX, offers an online library of virtually all of its materials at a subscription rate of about $45 per quarter. That price has not been beaten by other similar publishers in the field.

If YMAA has no immediate plans to create an online library, I would like to suggest that it be considered.
stephenbuck415
Forum Contributor

Postby joeblast » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:40 am

It is convenient, but boy its a pain having to stare at a monitor to read a book. I've got books24x7 for work and the eula states you cant print any of it so you have to read it online...I read that stuff about 1/4th as much as I would if I could have it on paper in front of me!
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby stephenbuck415 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:42 am

Ah. I just use laptops. At home each laptop has a additional monitor and this week I'm building a custom desk that can be converted to "standing mode", allowing me to work in a basic Qigong standing stance. I've done some experimenting with computer work while standing and it's much easier on the hips (I'm 40, everything is moving south).

Electronic access to information is easier for me to archive for purposes of documenting references (creating a bibliography, etc.). Additionally, when I am writing it's easier and faster to be able to perform research online than it is shifting through a stack of printed books - even more difficult when a copy of that book is not immediately available.

I suppose everyone can find pro's and cons to online material. However, I wasn't requesting the print versions be discontinued at all - I would just like to see online versions as well.
stephenbuck415
Forum Contributor

Some books ARE available online

Postby tcomrie » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:53 am

Some YMAA books are available. Please see the thread in this forum titled 'YMAA ebooks.' Seven (soon to be eight) books are currently available, my plan is to add one every month. They are are being posted in PDF format, and low-resolution printing will be possible.
Tim Comrie
Production Editor
YMAA Publication Center
Boston, MA USA
tcomrie
Forum User

Return to YMAA Publishing