Classical Yang Taijiquan

Discuss YMAA Publishing's books, videos and DVDs. Have you read/seen an YMAA Publishing work? Share your thoughts, discuss its ideas. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: Dvivid, DavidR

Classical Yang Taijiquan

Postby Jucudeno » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:29 pm

What does everyone think of this DVD? I've never seen a man move as fast as Dr. Yang does in the form. I ordered the DVD about two days ago...I'm really anticipating getting it.

Also, I haven't had the amount for the order subtracted from my balance yet, so I'm wondering if, perhaps, YMAA Publishing hasn't processed it yet? Ah, it'll get here eventually, ne.
"Study is to study what cannot be studied. Undertaking means undertaking what cannot be undertaken. Philosophizing is to philosophize about what cannot be philosophized about. Knowing that knowing is unknowable is true perfection." - Chuang Tzu
Jucudeno
Forum Contributor

Poof

Postby Jucudeno » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:06 am

The DVD is great, just so everyone knows. *smiles* Thanks guys, high quality instructional material.

*waves* Love and Peace,
-Benjamin
"Study is to study what cannot be studied. Undertaking means undertaking what cannot be undertaken. Philosophizing is to philosophize about what cannot be philosophized about. Knowing that knowing is unknowable is true perfection." - Chuang Tzu
Jucudeno
Forum Contributor

Postby Dvivid » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:26 pm

Ah yes...the Fa Jing!
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Classical Yang Style DVD: A standard above the rest

Postby abersold » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:07 pm

The best fully packed DVD for home learning on Yang Style; a superior reference tool. I recommend anyone who does yang style should own this dvd and all the other dvd's books......no one out there can compare to YMAA's Quality. For Smaller form & fully packed DVD is Sunrise Taiji also.
abersold
Forum Addict

*smiles*

Postby Jucudeno » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:09 am

Thanks abersfold, I'll have to order Sunrise Taiji soon.
Jucudeno
Forum Contributor

The Book

Postby OldYang » Wed May 24, 2006 4:19 pm

I have the book, but I can't find any description or even mention of Fajing it.

How was this form derived from Yang Ban Hou? Did Yang Ban Hou have any students, and if so, who are they?
OldYang
Forum Newbie

Re: The Book

Postby maartenm » Mon May 29, 2006 10:45 am

OldYang wrote:I have the book, but I can't find any description or even mention of Fajing it.

I don't think he calls it that in the book. I suppose the fajin he shows on the dvd is what he talks about in the book when discussing jin and the jin of soft internal styles (whip-like hitting).

OldYang wrote:How was this form derived from Yang Ban Hou? Did Yang Ban Hou have any students, and if so, who are they?

This I'd like to know too... Maybe it's another way of saying it's an old traditional form, and not a historicaly verifiable fact?
He had a few students. I don't know anything at all about all this, but apparently he wasn't an easy man and there's not much known about his teaching or students who went on to teach his form.
maartenm
Forum Regular

Re: The Book

Postby OldYang » Mon May 29, 2006 12:38 pm

maartenm wrote:I don't think he calls it that in the book. I suppose the fajin he shows on the dvd is what he talks about in the book when discussing jin and the jin of soft internal styles (whip-like hitting).

I'll have to get the dvd then.

This I'd like to know too... Maybe it's another way of saying it's an old traditional form, and not a historicaly verifiable fact?
He had a few students. I don't know anything at all about all this, but apparently he wasn't an easy man and there's not much known about his teaching or students who went on to teach his form.

Make that a sadistic old so-and-so. The same as Yang Shao Hou, which is unfortunate, because his fast form is what Tai Chi could really do with to counterbalance all the New Age, Hippy stuff.

Just to meander off topic, Chen Pan Ling's style is supposed to be derived from Yang Shao Hou's Tai Chi, or at least according to Erle Montaigue.

Also, according to Wang Pei Sheng's book on the Wu style, Wu Tunan personally learned from Yang Shao Hou.

Does anyone have a list of official students of Yang Ban Hou and Yang Shao Hou, or even better, some official lineage of their fast forms?

Check out the blurb on Yang Shao Hou at the Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Shao-hou
OldYang
Forum Newbie

Postby riczg » Tue May 30, 2006 1:58 am

Hi,

From what I've researched, mainly on the internet and some books, Yang Ban Hou had at least six students:

Yang Zhao Peng (Ban Hou's son)
Yang Shao Hou (Ban Hou's nepheu)
Chen Xiu Feng (Also said to have been Yang Lu Chan's student)
Wang Jiao Yu (Guang Ping style, teacher of Kuo Lien Ying)
Wu Quan Yu (Wu style)
Niu Lian Yuan

This page has alot of lineage information, but it is in danish (I think)
http://www.geocities.com/oldyangtaijiquan/lineage1.htm

Regards,

Ricardo
Ricardo Zapata
riczg
Forum Regular

Return to YMAA Publishing