Fundamentals poster

Discuss YMAA Publishing's books, videos and DVDs. Have you read/seen an YMAA Publishing work? Share your thoughts, discuss its ideas. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: Dvivid, DavidR

Fundamentals poster

Postby zipwolf » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:36 am

Any chance of a poster with all the kicking and arm strike fundamentals on them? I always forget which one goes where, or what they look like when i read the name, and it takes an age to search through the videotape.

Plus it would make my room look pretty!
zipwolf
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby DOM » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:17 am

I would love to see something like that or a book.The fundumentals video is like an encyclopidia.I always recommend this video to every one I talk to who trains Kungfu.I wish I held off for the dvd for the same reasons, it takes forever to find what you want.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby zipwolf » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:07 pm

lol, exactly, i forgot what a ramble kick was. Big mistake. Six hours of trawling :P
zipwolf
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby darth_freak » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:13 pm

get the long fist book...
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby citrus538 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:22 pm

The long fist book is nice, but the romanization is inconsistent. A nice portable reference with pin yin would be very nice : )
citrus538
Forum Addict

Postby Inga » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:48 pm

'wolf, i'd buy one. who is your fave choice for modelling the poses? and would you have white crane, long fist, both and/or other styles? aren't there some variations on knee position between different styles? do the traditional hand positions vary too?
Inga
Admin

Postby darth_freak » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:30 am

he long fist book is nice, but the romanization is inconsistent.

I find the romanization from the long fist better than pinyin. If someone reads the long fist book and look at the name for the unicorn stance he'll read "chi lin bu" whereas if he looks at the pinyin he'll read "qi lin bu". If he doesn't know pinyin how should he know that the "q" is pronouned like a "ch"?

pinyin is kinda hard; I still don't really know the differences between "ji", "qi" and "xi" :?
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby zipwolf » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:09 am

Inga wrote:'wolf, i'd buy one. who is your fave choice for modelling the poses? and would you have white crane, long fist, both and/or other styles? aren't there some variations on knee position between different styles? do the traditional hand positions vary too?

Preferably Dr Yang modelling the poses, as that would make it very cool, but all in all i am not THAT concerned who did the poses. Anyone from the video would work out, and in fact, even clips from the video would be fine most likely, making the poster very quick to manufacture (*COUGH* Dvivid, you should totally do it *COUGH*).

Personally i'd just want everything that is included in the fundamentals videos on the posters, and i wouldnt want to start bringing in the white crane and long fist split as of yet, as both of them are important at a fundemental level of practice in my opinion.

However there could be other posters for White crane and Long fist and the more advanced stuff later on, even posters labelling entire forms. Wouldnt it be really useful, if you had a mental block for a form, and all you had to do was look at your wall, rather then trawling through a video?

Darth, i like pinyin, but i gotta agree that in some cases that its odd. Correct me if i am wrong, but isnt there usually a brief explanation of pinyin in the books its used in?
zipwolf
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Inga » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:50 am

yeah, it would be ace to have a whole series of them. master yang would be my first choice of model too, but i agree on your point about prompt manufacture. maybe you could do a mini version for a project - you're a media student are you not? i'd pay a fiver for one : ) imagine 'em up at smiths!! haha if you left your hair down you might get a queue of young ladies shelling out the readies...make del-boy proud! sorry, gettin' a bit silly now. must be time for that second cuppa. actually i really do think it's a sound idea. my dad uses his ymaa tai chi posters all the time.
Inga
Admin

Postby DOM » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:05 am

Just a small not.The fundamental tapes already have a lot of crane tech.Stances,stepping,striking and kicking.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to YMAA Publishing