The Root of Chinese Qigong - should I learn from this?

Discuss YMAA Publishing's books, videos and DVDs. Have you read/seen an YMAA Publishing work? Share your thoughts, discuss its ideas. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: Dvivid, DavidR

The Root of Chinese Qigong - should I learn from this?

Postby krylonkungfu » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:13 am

I was wondering what your opinion was about me learning qigong from Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming's book? I am practicing for religious reasons and I also practice other forms of kungfu and meditation. I've read through the book and it's been very enlightening. I unfortunately cannot find a taijichuan or qigong teacher in my area. Should I still practice taijichuan or qigong without a master? I think I'm doing ok but I would like to know what you all think.
omitoufo
krylonkungfu
Just Arrived

Postby Dvivid » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:07 pm

I would reccomend that if you can't find a qualified master in your area, you also use instructional DVDs, so that you can see the proper movement in the Qigong set you are practicing. This, along with understanding the theory in the book, should be enough for a good foundation.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby abersold » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:16 pm

Anyone that does Qigong should own this book, read it throughly then if possible go to his Qigong Foundation Seminar #1, I also agree along with a local teacher or expierenced group would be great , eight brocades, Taiji Qigong DVD are excellent quality~ pretty basic core sets but will build a good foundation, no matter what style you end up in.

Dr. Yang was one of the first CREDIBLE Masters to share without any politics involved, and I am grateful that he had took the steps many years ago to Publish, teach openly, I also urge people to also get the expierence of studying with him and the group, it is a great community.

One last thought you can learn from the dvd and if you do go to Boston for a workshop you could do a Lesson, a class with a Teacher from the school they are all accomplished teachers and it would refine and build on your self practice.
abersold
Forum Addict

Return to YMAA Publishing