Taiji Quan explanation on how it is structured as a sport

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Taiji Quan explanation on how it is structured as a sport

Postby MM » Fri May 27, 2005 4:35 am

Hello everyone, I'd like to receive enough good information about Taiji as I'm totally new to it.
I need to know the various levels or progression from the start.
I mean I have just begun this but I don't understand much of it so as my master told me I must know the rules and everything.For example I know that the so-called form exists but the relation between this and the Chi are new to me and so on.
I hope I have made myself clear but I have to say I like this sport because it relaxes my nerves and this is very important in this moment in my life so please help me with this matter as I'm beginning to get interested in this oriental sport.Hope to hear replies from you guys as soon as possible.
I like chatting with people to exchange opinions about oriental sports practice.
MM
Just Arrived

Postby DOM » Sun May 29, 2005 10:54 pm

Well first off it is not a sport,it's a way of life and a martial art.It's a way to improve your mind,body,and spirit through martial tecknicks.Read Dr.yangs books on Tai Chi Chaun.The classical Yang style book is an excellent book.It exsplains every thing you need to know to set you on the right path and bring you from the the basic foundation to the deeper aspects of the art.He also has many others that I suggjest you read too.But I would start with this one first,for it is all that most peaple will ever need.No matter what style of Tai Chi Chaun you train this book is a must read.Good luck
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby yeniseri » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:32 pm

MM,

Although I do not see it as a sport, it is a good method of exercise and physical fitness. Based on its categorization as competition, it does qualify so try to enjoy it as best you can. Be open minded and perhaps see it more as a lifelong tool encompassing health and wellness.

You mentioned "the classical Yang style book" but this is not the case. There are many classical Yang style books so it is good to note the author. Classical Yang style based on who? Yang Chengfu, Zhao Bin, Fu Zhongwen, Yang Shaohou, Li Zhengm etc The outward form may be the same or different but your incorporation of them and the understanding are more important. Hope I did not confuse the issue.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to General Training and Practice