Pinion 1 & 2 (kata)

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby TenTigers » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:54 am

you might run into a problem here. If the Kempo he is learning is related to the Villari system, then the pinan katas are not the traditional Okinawan Pinan, or the Japanese Heian Kata. For the authentic kata, see Nagamine's book, or for the Japanese version see Best Karate. The forms will be called Heian. If you are learning the other version, find a traditional school, as your son will get the proper foundation, otherwise his future in Martial Arts will be compromised.
I will not compromise my integrity, or that of my art, for the sake of commercialization.
TenTigers
Forum User

Postby Walter Wong » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:50 am

Not all Kenpo/Kempo out there is Fred Villari. I don't believe Roger is teaching Villari's Kempo. I'll have to ask and confirm with him next time I see him.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby OnlyMe » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:17 am

ahh....that takes me back...Fred Vallari studio. I think the guy's name that ran the Saugus branch was Sam. Could have sworn one of his assistant instructors at the time was a Roger, could be wrong though... I did Kempo for 3 or 4 years when I was younger too. I like YMAA much better, but I did get some good basics from Kempo.
OnlyMe
Forum Addict

Postby TenTigers » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:40 pm

I'm not saying he is teaching Villari's system, but there are many offshoots stemming from his schools, as there were quite a few people that left that organization. His system is not even close to Ed Parker's, or Tracy's, or Steve sanders' BKF Kenpo. The forms they call Pinans are not even the pinans, but basic introductory sets one learns before actually learning the pinans. Pinan 3.4.and 5 are similar but pretty much changed so much that some sequences are actually performed backwards, as if he learned them from a book.
I will not compromise my integrity, or that of my art, for the sake of commercialization.
TenTigers
Forum User

Postby pete » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:39 am

TenTigers wrote: His (Villari) system is not even close to Ed Parker's, or Tracy's, or Steve sanders' BKF Kenpo.

that is an understatement~

I train in American Kenpo (Parker), and Dr Yang's Chin Na can be worked nicely within its framework of self defense techniques.

btw, TenTigers, where on Long Island are you from? I'm in Centerport (near Huntington) and attend Dr Yang's Chin Na seminars when he comes into NYC...

pete
pete
Forum Newbie

Postby TenTigers » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:05 pm

Hey Neighbor! We are in Huntington on Depot Rd between 12 and 13 st over the laundramat. Feel free to call or drop by. Me casa su casa!
TenTigers
Forum User

Return to General Training and Practice