training at the retreat center

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

training at the retreat center

Postby taichiwhitey » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:18 pm

Im going to visit the retreat center for two weeks and was hoping i could get a couple tips. Like what should i bring? Any clothes i should stay away from? Shoes? Also should i change my diet before hand? Any advice would be appreciated
taichiwhitey
Forum Newbie

Re: training at the retreat center

Postby taichiwhitey » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:34 pm

Since ive seen same views but no responses i thought i would follow up my op with what i heard back from the retreat center for anyone interested in this. They told me to pack light, (i am staying for 2 weeks) also to bring loose clothes to train in and clothes to keep me warm because it gets cold there. Thats it. I will also post a follow up when i get home to let everyone know how it went. Being a at home student of tai chi i cannot begin to express how grateful i am to be able to train with such a knowledgeable instructor.
taichiwhitey
Forum Newbie

Re: training at the retreat center

Postby taichiwhitey » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Sorry for my slow response. For anyone who has been reading Dr. Yangs books and practicing at home like I was, who is curious what the experience would be like. I'm posting this for you. I'm currently at my second 2 week visit at the retreat center. What I noticed first thing being here is that no-one judges you here. Aside from the training which is intense but not overwhelming, the attitude here is one that encourages you to be yourself. Dr. Yangs attitude seems to be that each person must be honest with themselves before they can be a serious student. So the first thing I noticed is that I had this mask when I arrived. Slowly after about a week it began to fall since there was no reason to wear a mask around people who do not judge you. Another thing is that the deciples are very good teachers. At every step they made me feel good about my progress. I was so afraid of not being good enough around these great martial artist, but here the only person I've competed with is myself. I've made friends with all the deciples and am staying for another month and encourage anyone interested in training to come. There is no pressure and you can make your own training program based on your own goals. Thats it guys. Just wanted to fill everyone in on this experience. It's been life changing
taichiwhitey
Forum Newbie

Return to General Training and Practice