Long term effects of Jogging

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Long term effects of Jogging

Postby Balloo777 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:53 am

I find jogging to be one of the best conditioning exercises overall. Are there any long term health effects I should be aware of? Should i switch to another exercise? Should I do forms instead.
Balloo777
Forum User

Re: Long term effects of Jogging

Postby Sanfung » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:51 am

I've often heard people say that the long-term health effects of jogging are dependent on what you're jogging in. To that end, I've understood that jogging on hard concrete could cause a compression of the legs that wouldn't happen if you were in say sand or some other substance like water that could conform as you jog with it.

Have you ever experienced any sort of lingering pain from jogging?
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Postby yeniseri » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:05 pm

Jogging is great providing you slow down and enjoy the cruise as opposed to running like a bat out of hell, as I used to do. I used to run for speed (timed) but it seems that my legs suffered alot and I had knee problems so I had to learn fast to slow down. I did an aboutface after 2012 as my lifestyle slowed and I was out of the sandbox (my last deployment was in 2010-2011).

My knees got banged up, head tossed every which way so I am now appreciative of how I have slowed my pace (I am working more due to present occupation)
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Balloo777 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:42 pm

I have learned to slow down too. I run for duration not speed. Thank you for sharing your experience. What do you find helped for your knee pain.
Balloo777
Forum User

Postby Sanfung » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:06 pm

I've actually been wondering something for a while, and felt that it might be most appropriate to ask the people here on the YMAA site. Has anyone had any success alleviating pain by using compression garments with copper? Naturally, I don't want to derail the thread at all, I was just a bit curious and decided to add it in here because of what Balloo777 had just written.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Return to General Training and Practice