Training Saber

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Training Saber

Postby bforquer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:43 pm

I am considering starting to work through the Saber DVDs and was wondering what type of saber is the best to practice with. IE wood, Polypropylene or Steel.

Should I get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BMTZCKG/ref ... W2Y0RY1J94

or something like this:

http://www.buykungfu.com/taiji-dao-w-case/

or perhaps anther alternative.

I am also 6'7".
bforquer
Forum Newbie

Re: Training Saber

Postby chh » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:54 pm

I'd like to hear replies to this, too.

I've been training with a wooden saber, which is fine for getting an idea of the form's choreography, but I wonder whether something with a weight and weight distribution more like a real saber is a smarter choice. I'm sure it must be a better way to go for conditioning.
chh
Forum Addict

Re: Training Saber

Postby Sanfung » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:05 pm

I've often wondered about polypropylene wasters. Various plastics and nylon are used to make practice weapons these days, and I had wondered whether the use of them would cause any problem because the material is artificial.

Would it be difficult to use them in serious internal practice because of the use of synthetic materials, or am I guilty of over thinking things again?

Regardless, as chh said I'm sure that steel would perhaps be the best from a conditioning aspect, as it's the densest of the materials being considered. Some instructors are reluctant to let newer students use steel right away because they might not be ready to just yet.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Return to General Training and Practice