hi new here..

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

hi new here..

Postby judoboy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:40 am

hi.. new here from the Philippines, I dont know if I posted in the correct theme,I have been a Judoka for 8 years now and Im really interested in doing tai chi and qi gong. correct me if im wrong, what I know is I cant learn tai chi without an instructor right? I can only learn qi gong by myself. :?:

If I can only learn qi gong, what kind of qi gong is fit for a judoka like me?

thank you in advance guy.. hope to learn a lot from all of you :)
judoboy
Forum Newbie

Re: hi new here..

Postby John the Monkey mind » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Hi, nice to have you. I think Taiji would be harder to get on your own although as you already have some background in martial arts not impossible. :) Eight Pieces of Brocade is the safest bet to start with. Its simple but you can add depth with increases in understanding.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby judoboy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:58 pm

John the Monkey mind wrote:Hi, nice to have you. I think Taiji would be harder to get on your own although as you already have some background in martial arts not impossible. :) Eight Pieces of Brocade is the safest bet to start with. Its simple but you can add depth with increases in understanding.

thank you for the reply :D

i have been reading a lot about 8 pieces brocade and have watch a lot of videos. maybe i would go for it.. by the way what do you mean "but you can add depth with increases in understanding"? i can add other forms or practice other qi gong? sorry for the noob question :?
judoboy
Forum Newbie

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:28 pm

No problem. The movement in the Qi Gong and the basic breathing are only the start of it. As you learn more about methods of breathing and movement of Qi you can do other things internally with the same set of movements depending on what you want to achieve. You could as an example develop you muscles or you could work on developing and issuing internal power or try to enter a deeper meditative state by controlling the breath and speed. 8 pieces of brocade is a nice set to adapt to your needs as it is not to complex but is still very good. A lot of the principles are in Dr Yang's books or his Understanding Qigong Series. http://ymaa.com/publishing/understandin ... g-complete Basically intention and breathing can form your strategy of what you look to achieve as can muscle control. It is a deep subject to get into and probably better explained by someone more knowledgeable than me. joeblast has made some intresting posts on the subject in the Qi Gong section at some point in the past. memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6675
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby judoboy » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:50 pm

John the Monkey mind wrote:No problem. The movement in the Qi Gong and the basic breathing are only the start of it. As you learn more about methods of breathing and movement of Qi you can do other things internally with the same set of movements depending on what you want to achieve. You could as an example develop you muscles or you could work on developing and issuing internal power or try to enter a deeper meditative state by controlling the breath and speed. 8 pieces of brocade is a nice set to adapt to your needs as it is not to complex but is still very good. A lot of the principles are in Dr Yang's books or his Understanding Qigong Series. http://ymaa.com/publishing/understandin ... g-complete Basically intention and breathing can form your strategy of what you look to achieve as can muscle control. It is a deep subject to get into and probably better explained by someone more knowledgeable than me. joeblast has made some intresting posts on the subject in the Qi Gong section at some point in the past. memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6675

i get it.. i need to read more and learn to have a better understanding about qi gong. i have been reading topics here in the forum regarding my concern and ill see to it to read posts by joeblast..

thank you very much, you've been a big help :D
judoboy
Forum Newbie

Return to General Training and Practice