Internal Martial Arts and Kettlebell workout

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Internal Martial Arts and Kettlebell workout

Postby Ozimba » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:31 am

Hello

I am practicing tai chi for 2 years and Zhan Zhuan for 1 year with some breaks and i have started Ba Duan Jin exercises. So my complete routine is warm up exercises, ba dian jin and then zhan zhuang - holding the balloon for about 30 - 35 minutes. After that i do about half an hour the tai chi form.

I have been doing weigh lifting and practicing some external martial arts in the past, like muai thai, bjj, judo, kick box.

I have read a lot of books concerning internal martial arts and Zhan zhuang, and everywhere i read that you shouldn't use your muscles but your internal energy -chi.

In order to maintain my muscles -i am not very muscular though - i do 1 to 2 times a week high cardio kettle bell workout wit a 10kg kettle bell (in order to do many repetitions) and i do a lot of warming up and cooling down exercises. Is that going to prevent me from advancing my internal martial arts skills and chi flow?

Thank you very much in advance for your time.
Ozimba
Just Arrived

Re: Internal Martial Arts and Kettlebell workout

Postby Dvivid » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:38 am

No, there is no conflict in combining internal/external training. It is very common and traditional.

People nowadays misunderstand or even deny the existence of the internal/external concept in Chinese martial arts. Ultimately, they're two ends to the same mean: whole body power, with increased Qi.

Its good to balance physical strength and conditioning with internal skills. In fact that's the basis of the training at Shaolin historically. Dr. Yang discusses this topic in depth in his new Nei Gong DVD, coming October 2014.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to General Training and Practice