Knee rotations?

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Knee rotations?

Postby RingAndReed » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:34 pm

Pretty much EVERY martial arts organization teaches circling the knees as part of the a warm-up, but I have seen some severe concerns expressed.  My physiotherapist has no clear objections to them but prefers to avoid them.

The idea is that the knees are a hinge, not a ball, so they are not meant to be circled such that the joint opens sideways. 

Observations / Comments? 
Robin Tropper
M.A.Sc., B.Mus.
http://TaichiAdventure.blogspot.ca
RingAndReed
Forum User

Re: Knee rotations?

Postby Inga » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:42 am

Hello there

My physician (who also practices martial arts) has prescribed knee rotations to strengthen my slack tendons either side of my knee. I am not supposed to jump until this is resolved, so I do work on it, and I have seen improvement, although it is very, very slow. This summer it will be a year since I started to work on it. Very slow. I have not experienced any adverse effects that I have noticed, nor does it cause me sharp pain just discomfort (that creaky feeling...)

That's been my experience. Master Yang uses this in his warm ups when I have attended seminars.

Cheers Inga
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby joeblast » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:35 am

They should be done in the proper posture - 90 degrees allows for the greatest range of movement for the tibia and fibula, the rotations absolutely are a good thing for hurt knees.

But like everything, depending on one's condition, there's proper range, duration. If you've got knee problems these exercises are great, just make sure you train your 70% range.
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby RingAndReed » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:36 am

Thank you both for your replies. I am surprised that knee rotation is used to strengthen loose tendons etc. I thought the purpose was to loosen them!

Master Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming does TONS of stuff that I can't hope to do without 5 more years of intense training..... Did you see his old video on Chin-Na?

I guess, then, the idea is to do the rotation correctly, with the correct purpose in mind.
Robin Tropper
M.A.Sc., B.Mus.
RingAndReed
Forum User

Postby Inga » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:34 am

Hi Robin,

Nope, loose tendons are not good : ( I just feel relieved there is something non-surgical I can do about it.

Ah, if you want to learn some chin-na from Master Yang, I hope you can come down to Andover Massachusetts at the end of the month. He will be here to teach chin na and qigong.

http://www.yangsfitnesscenter.com/ymaa/ ... ymaa1.aspx

His visits to the East Coast are limited, so it's a good opportunity! However if you can get to the Retreat Center, you would enjoy that very much as well.

Cheers Inga
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby RingAndReed » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:44 am

Inga wrote:His visits to the East Coast are limited, so it's a good opportunity! However if you can get to the Retreat Center, you would enjoy that very much as well.

Thanks Inga,
Thus year, I really can't afford it. I really hope he'll return next year because it's in my plans to start attending workshops as of next year.
Robin Tropper
M.A.Sc., B.Mus.
RingAndReed
Forum User

Return to General Training and Practice