This is Martial Arts???

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

This is Martial Arts???

Postby baihe shifu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:31 am

This is Sport??? This is "Mixed Martial Arts???" Where in the hell is the "Art" component?

This is nothing but bloodlust! Absolute rubbish pretending to be a representation of Martial ARTS!

Would you like your Son/Daughter, Brother/Sister, Husband/Wife or Friend coming home like this??? What exactly is the point of this??? UFC Ultimate Fighting??? Ultimate Fighting is not this .... Utimate fFighting is not fighing at all! Look at the meaning of the term "Martial Arts" and one will discover the truth.

Is this sport? No!
baihe shifu
Forum Addict

Re: This is Martial Arts???

Postby buddhafist » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:24 am

The only sense I can see in this is that the people are proving themselves, facing their fears/demons etc. Everyone has his personal way of doing this. And I think it is fitting well in the western view of sport - which has in my opinion a very strong competing character. Martial arts is just a name. Most people dont even have a single idea what this name means to everyone of us.
We only can show them...and be a represantant of what we believe is a complete art that serves our whole being.
buddhafist
Forum User

Re: This is Martial Arts???

Postby Sanfung » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:28 pm

A good number of people I have seen online sit back and debate whether or not such a style is effective because it is or is not used in the UFC. I personally have another problem with such events. Blood borne illnesses are a serious problem. For years, they have plagued sports like boxing and wrestling. Any event where there is even the slightest chance for blood to be splashed into a participant's open wound or eyes is one where the chance of a blood borne infection can occur.

As for proving oneself, one very difficult lesson I have had to learn is that when you truly do strive for perfection there is no need to prove yourself since you know what you can accomplish and therefore have no need to test it.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Return to General Training and Practice