Getting a grip...

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Getting a grip...

Postby Monsoon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:04 am

Hey folks, the winter is fast approaching for me and I have a slight problem. Up until now I have always practiced my jian form outdoors for spring, summer and autumn, and indoors during the winter. However, this year it looks like I will forced to practice outdoors in the winter too - although my work colleagues say they don't mind me using a spare seminar room, I do notice the very weird looks they are giving me when I bring my swords to work.

Anyway, my question concerns maintaining a good grip in cold weather. Do any of you practice outdoors in the cold, and if so do you recommend any particular brands or types of hand-wear? I was thinking a pair of thin leather gloves might do the trick, as long as they are a tight fit. On the other hand I could simply practice with a waster - that way I wouldn't have to worry too much about it slipping out of my cold hands.

Any advice appreciated - never had to consider this before!
peace and harmony

monsoon
Monsoon
Forum Guru

Re: Getting a grip...

Postby Sanfung » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm actually surprised that no one ever got back to you, Monsoon! I know it's a little late, but cold months are coming again so I was curious if you made a decision. While I would have suggested a wooden waster for the jian forms, I am wondering if that's not such a good idea without gloves anyway. While it wouldn't slip out of your hands, the cold air could certainly dry out the skin. The thin leather gloves might feel uncomfortable, but they might give you the most natural feeling.

If I were doing it, though, I might give a try to bare hands with the waster and see how they react. Some cold can certainly encourage blood flow to the hands, but too much cold air can of course cause your skin to crack.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Postby John the Monkey mind » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:44 am

Monsoon wrote:Hey folks, the winter is fast approaching for me and I have a slight problem. Up until now I have always practiced my jian form outdoors for spring, summer and autumn, and indoors during the winter. However, this year it looks like I will forced to practice outdoors in the winter too - although my work colleagues say they don't mind me using a spare seminar room, I do notice the very weird looks they are giving me when I bring my swords to work.

Anyway, my question concerns maintaining a good grip in cold weather. Do any of you practice outdoors in the cold, and if so do you recommend any particular brands or types of hand-wear? I was thinking a pair of thin leather gloves might do the trick, as long as they are a tight fit. On the other hand I could simply practice with a waster - that way I wouldn't have to worry too much about it slipping out of my cold hands.

Any advice appreciated - never had to consider this before!

You could try the gloves with rubber grip (dots) people use when working in a warehouse. They have a really fantastic grip although they look nasty.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Sanfung » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:09 am

I realize this is an old thread, but I saw something in the store today that I thought might help. While they probably would not appear any better than the gloves with the rubber grip dots that John mentioned, I saw some cloth gloves that were dipped in rubber. I figured that they would fit he bill quite well, since they do not appear to interfere too much with movement but should still keep the hands nice and warm.

I was able to find a photograph online without too much difficulty:

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00YB ... O2002-.jpg
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Return to General Training and Practice