Tai Chi structure and cycling

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Tai Chi structure and cycling

Postby fazhou » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:13 am

As I was riding my bike today I was thinking about bio-structural alignment while on the bike. If any one cares to chime in that would be great. While on the bike, with a small percentage of weight through the shoulders, arms, wrists transferred to the handle bars, should the scapula be gently separated as in Tai Chi? Do you think it matters? Thanks.
fazhou
Forum Contributor

Re: Tai Chi structure and cycling

Postby pete5770 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:03 am

I think you should feel relaxed on a bike and not straining to hold yourself in position. Elbows slightly bent, back slightly rounded, shoulders realxed(not up around your ears). Also the nose of your saddle should be, generally speaking, a bit higher or at least level with the rear of the saddle. This forces you to actually SIT on the saddle. If the saddle nose is pointed down you will be expending energy trying to hold yourself in position on the saddle because you will tend to slip forward.

I realize that wasn't about the scapula but maybe you will glean a useful tidbit from it.
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to General Training and Practice